Need Boat Advice for Naples FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

don mccord

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking for a power boat I can use for scuba diving, ranging up to 30 miles offshore from Naples FL. I mostly do technical diving exercises and geological formation research.

What type of boat can I safely use off SW FL to cruise offshore in the Gulf, survive 90% of the weather situations, and carry up 6 comfortably ? Likely just day trips. Just carry my gear, no need for tank refills at sea.

There are obviously some advantages to shorter boats (eg dockage) but some disadvantages too (can't handle 5 foot swells, etc) so I am looking for advice from those more experienced with the region.

I prefer a 20+ ft boat if I am heading out in the ocean. I think I would rather have a cat, like Glacier Bay, but a deep V is also acceptable. Few really pay enough attention the swim platform and ladder. I really like the Armstrong ladders. You can install them after the fact.

I am looking for a power boat I can use for scuba diving, ranging up to 30 miles offshore from Naples FL. I mostly do technical diving exercises and geological formation research.

What type of boat can I safely use off SW FL to cruise offshore in the Gulf, survive 90% of the weather situations, and carry up 6 comfortably ? Likely just day trips. Just carry my gear, no need for tank refills at sea.

There are obviously some advantages to shorter boats (eg dockage) but some disadvantages too (can't handle 5 foot swells, etc) so I am looking for advice from those more experienced with the region.

Six divers with gear take up an awful lot of space. Are you considering a trailerable boat or a boat that will always sit at a dock when not in use? Cabin or no cabin? Outboard or inboard? There are quite a few options to think about here and while you've certainly given us a good start, the more information you can give us about what you want in a boat the better we can help you. If trailering is not an issue I'd lean toward a beamy, flybridge type boat for maximum people/gear space and the ability to get out of the elements when the weather turns bad, Delta, Island Hopper, and Newton are some excellent choices to consider. The good news is there has never been a better time to purchase a boat and with the market flooded with repo's it's a total buyers market. If you're looking for a used boat check National Liquidators website regularly, they deal primarily in bank repo's and have a great selection that turns over frequently: Repo Boats & Luxury Yachts For Sale - Boat Liquidators - Yacht Financing

Hope this is a little bit of help.

GOOD ?s - "Six divers with gear take up an awful lot of space. Are you considering a trailerable boat or a boat that will always sit at a dock when not in use? Cabin or no cabin? Outboard or inboard?" - Probably just 4 divers, need boat captain and spotter for safety. Non-trailerable is fine. No cabin is also OK probably.

Perhaps a pilothouse design just so you're not in the elements all day while running the boat and can duck out of the weather when necessary since you'll be making relatively long runs to the dives, Parker and Privateer come to mind but I still don't have a real clear picture of what you are looking for, these would be good boats to start with to see if their designs appeal. Any thoughts on engines, outboard, inboard? Approximate budget?

The pilothouse designs seem a tad slow. 15 mph is fine unless the bad weather comes up suddenly and then getting home in an hour seems important. I am thinking below $100K new, preferably a lot less.

The only experience I ever had with an inboard it caught fire and burned to the waterline, but other than scarred memories I have no preference of inboard vs outboard. Obviously reliability is key that far from shore and then fuel economy. If fuel gets to $5 a gallon, I can't afford to make 60 mile round trips very often unless the boat sips slowly.

I would say I like what I have heard today - a power cat of 26 to 36 feet in length, dual outboards with a ladder between, and used for a handsome savings is most appealing. They seem to come in both open and cabin models, but suspect I will be happier with an open design.

The idea of the foreclosure auction is appealing but they have no such boats listed.

I must say the board members have been more than kind and I got more than my money's worth.
And I have made some new friends and contacts in the area. Can't beat that.

Thanks !

Armstrong has a "Bolt on Diesel" package that looks fantasic. It keeps the engine outside of the boat.

I ran dive charters in the GOM for many years, and when I bought a boat for my personal use I wanted a cat hull with twin outboards.
I decided to purchase an Ameracat 27' center console.
It would easily dive 6 and carry the weight of divers and gear.
It is very fuel efficent and easily cruises 25 knotts in 2-3' seas.
It's a very soft riding hull in our gulf chop.
It is also an inexpensive boat and very well bilt.
Check them out at New Home before you buy something less for more money.

The pilothouse designs seem a tad slow. 15 mph is fine unless the bad weather comes up suddenly and then getting home in an hour seems important. I am thinking below $100K new, preferably a lot less.

The only experience I ever had with an inboard it caught fire and burned to the waterline, but other than scarred memories I have no preference of inboard vs outboard. Obviously reliability is key that far from shore and then fuel economy. If fuel gets to $5 a gallon, I can't afford to make 60 mile round trips very often unless the boat sips slowly.

I would say I like what I have heard today - a power cat of 26 to 36 feet in length, dual outboards with a ladder between, and used for a handsome savings is most appealing. They seem to come in both open and cabin models, but suspect I will be happier with an open design.

The idea of the foreclosure auction is appealing but they have no such boats listed.

I must say the board members have been more than kind and I got more than my money's worth.
And I have made some new friends and contacts in the area. Can't beat that.

Thanks !

Don,

Whenever I hear the word 'new' and 'boat' in the same sentence, I assume the individual really has some money to burn. If that's the case, my hat is off to you.
Either that, or they've never actually bought a new boat before.
All the stereotypes about a boat being a hole in the water for money are 100% true.

This is probably the best time I've ever seen to buy a used boat. If you were to drive down towards Key West, the boats are literally lined up along Route 1 looking for buyers for penny's on the dollar. I have no doubt you could find a decent boat for under 30K and with the extra money you save, outfit it exactly as you want, add a flybridge, new canvas, etc., even replace outdrives if necessary.

Just my 2 cents. Again if you have 100K for a new one.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom