Need cave divers opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rich Keller

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Would a triple 30 cu/ft tank set up like this attached to a backplate be of use for cave diving?

Attachments

• IMG_0532.jpg
    IMG_0532.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 329
Would a triple 30 cu/ft tank set up like this attached to a backplate be of use for cave diving?

No it would not.

1) No redundancy in the valves - it would use one 1st stage.
2) Only 90 cu ft of gas
3) I would assume buoyancy characteristics are not very good

These are just some among many.

The best setup is what works best for you and the type of dive you are doing (and is redundant).

I dive BM 85s, 108s and SM 85s and AL80s in some cases....

Hmmmm ... given your background I'm gonna assume that's a troll ... not sure what your point is in posting it here.

That rig is more suitable in the DIY forum ... or perhaps in a museum ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Well, to begin with, 90 cubic feet of gas really isn't enough to do much of a cave dive, especially in Florida. Second, the manifold setup there has no redundancy -- all three tanks are hooked together with a single orifice, so if you have a freeflow, you lose ALL your gas. Redundancy is one of the basic principles of diving in real or virtual overheads.

The usual setups for cave diving are backmounted double tanks (80's or larger) with an isolation manifold, or sidemounted tanks (again, 80's or larger). Or a rebreather, with appropriate bailout.

1)No redundancy. If anything fails you would lose access to all your gas.Actually worse than a single tank as you have 2 extra neck O rings which could,potentially,fail.

2)Can't see from the picture but I'm guessing its a yolk valve.

3)As already stated,not enough gas (at least for Florida caves.)

what they said & more........Its ridiculous & has no place anywhere near a cave, or in any diving application as far as I am concerned.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but...its useless, totally.

:bs:

Not sure I'd be trusting hose clamps to keep my air supply attached to my body ... I'm definitely sure I wouldn't do so in a cave ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom