Need cave divers opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

4 pages, various opinions. 100% consensus which is utterly amazing actually since we can argue about almost anything...

= no overheard use whatsoever.

Well, I will have to disagree. Instead of a Hogarthian configuration, it could be referred to as a Kevorkian rig. I'm surprised something like this wasn't recovered from Vortex last year.

4 pages, various opinions. 100% consensus which is utterly amazing actually since we can argue about almost anything...

= no overheard use whatsoever.

100% is about what I expected. The item as shown is an antique, no one was trained on it, your local dive shop dose not sell it and very few people have ever even seen it. As I have stated more then a few times now "this is NOT exactly what I had in mind just an example of what I was thinking about". I understand that since your only sources of information are the instructors and dive shops almost no one would be interested. What I was hoping for was 99% negative because I would have been very interested in what the other 1% had to say.

There is a reason no one was trained on that thing...

I think its a neat piece and probably fun for shallow reef dives, but the concept itself is inappropriate for cave diving.

100% is about what I expected.
As I said initially ... troll.

I understand that since your only sources of information are the instructors and dive shops almost no one would be interested.
No ... you do NOT understand. If you want to understand, then you need to know at least something about the fundamentals of cave diving. If you want to design cave diving equipment, you should comprehend the problem you're designing a solution for. No matter how you dress that idea up, it simply doesn't solve a problem that cave divers don't already have a better solution for.

What I was hoping for was 99% negative because I would have been very interested in what the other 1% had to say.
You won't hear from that 1% ... they died.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Seems like the one thing y'all 99% lack is a spirit of adventure. Perhaps Rich is right and you've just been institutionalized and brainwashed by the biases and idiosyncratic predilections of "instructors," "formal training" "mentorship" and "experience." Whereas you see three tank neck o-rings and robotically think "three potential failure points," I implore you to reach for just a little bit of vision, and seek the less-pessimistic flipside, which is three potentials for non-failure, and thus three potentials for a really great cave dive, which is a whole two more than you'd have if using a single AL80. I think this is what the OP is seeking, and I for one welcome the opportunity to learn more about what he is planning.

jesus dude, atleast use the sarcasm tags for a post like that :p

Perhaps it just needs some oxygen cleaned regs? :) :)

I wonder what we should lube them with ???

John

As I said before I am not talking about this exact set but something like it that would be customised for cave diving. I am just brain storming and bouncing ideas off the people who know more then I do on the subject. You are not required to respond to these questions so if you have a problem with them and have nothing to contribute I would suggest that you are the one who should be moving along.

I don't have a problem with them because they are of no use whatsoever for cave diving, no matter what kind of modifications you have in mind. I offered my contributions, but you just didn't like them. You ask for opinions on something and then reject negative opinions. The idea that these have a use for cave diving is ludicrous; your persistence in pursuing this idea is even more so.

If you want to have ideas about bail out for sidemount cave divers get cave certified and then learn how to sidemount. Then you will know why you are getting the responses you are. Until somebody figures out how to put gills on us im pretty sure we have the tools to be as safe as we can be right now.

Again, I am talking about using something like this as a bail out, NOT as a primary air supply.

Bail out is used in CCR diving and this is not of use for that. Gas managment is used in OC cave diving. You are looking to fix a problem that does not exist. There are things in place that cover gas loss now. As PFC said, cave class. It seems you are offering something to a discipline of diving you have no knowledge about. Your rig is bulky and equals a single bottle. A stage is far more useful. In the days your unit was in use, scuba was finding its way. The horse is dead............just like Elvis.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom