Need Drysuit Leak Test Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most of the time, you know where it leaks of course. I used the air pressure technique twice, but I didn't like it very much. It's cumbersome and it needs quiet some pressure and soap to make the bubbles show up if the leak is small. But it certainly works. It's a good way to test a zipper or valves, that's when I use it.

As most leaks appeared on my torso and legs, when I find no dark environment, I do a general check filling the suit with water and putting it on a small ramp. So, arms and neck seal above water level. Mark with a soft pencil. I even did this several times on a trip with a harbour hose. Afterwards, it just takes half an hour to dry, inside out. Works really well.

To each their own.

To fill my size large trilam it only takes 100-150 psi, from a AL 80, if that. After a dive I have plenty gas left to do a leak test. A fill cost the same regardless if there is 600 or 200 psi left. Nor is it cumbersome. Spray bottle filled with water and a bit of soap.

I appreciate your response though.

You don't really need to use a tank to fill your suit with air. You can inflate one wrist by mouth or with a hair dryer on cool then seal the wrist. You only have to get enough air in it so you can create pressure by kneeling on the suit while spraying with soapy water.

This is a nice thread. Will bookmark it.
What do you use for the neck seal which is obviously bigger and sometime unruly?

A kids toy ball from Walmart works well for a neck seal. I think the last one I bought was $2.50. I use full Coke cans for the wrists. With no leaks, the suit will stand for a day or so before it gets soft. Scares the hell out of you if you see it standing at night in a dark room....don't ask me how I know.

Jay

What do you use for the neck seal which is obviously bigger and sometime unruly?

I've used a larger plastic jar or a 2 liter soft drink bottle for the neck. I've found 1 liter water/soft drink bottles are great for the wrists. Obviously this depends on the size of your wrists and neck :D

Have a leak at my left shoulder near the Apex Valve.
Will seal the suit and inflate with the valve closed. If no leak from valve then will need to think about something different.

I use a 1 gallon plastic jug, shaped similar to what windshield washer fluid comes in.

DW

I use a large plastic fiber container with a 3 inch hole in the bottom and a screw-on lid on the top. I also use a scrap formica-ed countertop with backsplash on top of two very large (just under 4' high) plastic garbage cans. Did it yesterday/dive today. The contact-cement on the Si-tec neck ring had failed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom