Need equipment suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaRob0311

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Ok total noob here and don't know much of anything. Looking for suggestions on BCD, and regulator system.
Only experience is in tropical water but will likely be diving mostly in freshwater in upstate NY.
Please let me know any other information you need that will help in recommending gear.
Thanks

double recommend as MichealMc!

Define "Upstate NY".... Where do you plan on diving?

Along with that, what is your anticipated diving season?

I can see myself diving in the finger lakes and also some lakes up in Adirondacks. I'm assuming water temps will be 60 to 75 degrees Fahrenheit and once a year maybe a couple tropical dives. I'm thinking early summer to early fall unless I go somewhere tropical.

Finger Lakes will have a significant thermocline. Significant thickness for a wet suit or better, a dry suit.... Aside from the St. Lawrence, thermoclines are a constant theme in any water over 40-50'. Early summer is still warming, so exposure protection again is a significant consideration. A MINIMUM of 7mm.....

Regulators should be rated for cold water....

I can see myself diving in the finger lakes and also some lakes up in Adirondacks. I'm assuming water temps will be 60 to 75 degrees Fahrenheit and once a year maybe a couple tropical dives. I'm thinking early summer to early fall unless I go somewhere tropical.
You temp range is wildly unrealistic. 40s to 50s is more realistic once you are deeper than 5’. A dry suit would be your best bet, but they can get pretty expensive for a newb. You might start out with with a semi-dry or a 7mm wetsuit. I would scope out the local shops for what they carry, because fit is super important for thermal protection. A bad fit makes diving less fun. You can also find out what your dive options are locally. Get a feeling for what the locals do. Don’t feel you need to drop $2,000 immediately. You can figure out what to invest in overtime and rent until you know what you want. Picking brands that can be locally serviced is a good idea.

BP/W are very popular here on SB, but not so much in the wider world. Do your research.

Dive shops locally rent out 7mm wetsuits like you said. One of the lakes I want to dive turns over completely twice a year. Any idea how that would effect overall temp of lake? Would the temp difference from top to bottom be less?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom