Need help fast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LynnB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone know about palmetto bay plantation... Great price on groupon must act fast....help and thanks

I haven't stayed there, but I have toured their property. It is actually quite nice, & peaceful They have some nice vacation rentals, a beachside pool, and the restaurant was decent when I was there a few years ago. This place is off the beaten path though. In the neighborhood of 10 miles down a dirt road, coming from West End. You would definitely need to rent a car/SUV if staying there and wanting to explore or go anywhere.

I"m not sure who is running their diving operation, so don't have any specific advice there. They are just far enough east from the west end of the island that you will probably be diving sites that don't get dove as much. I would expect the diving to be pretty decent.

Jason

Jason

LynnB, Palmetto Bay is on the south side of the island, east of Cocoview and Fantasy Island. Nowhere near West end at all.

Last time I saw Palmetto Bay, it was located in Crawfish Rock, along the Western end of the North side. If you know where French Harbor is, go right over the ridgeline of the island and you will be there.

Before I get all gushy and moist over the prospect of a real great deal on a week at Palmetto Bay, I would like to hear exactly what this super great rate includes and what it costs. Call me a skeptic. I found previous (2012) internet coupon deals and if you had three friends it became workable. It is not a dive resort, it is a resort that offers some diving.

Their description of their diving environ is a bit elastic, as they seem to tout dive sites that I would place in the category of "quite a hump" from their location... at least the location that I put them at there on the North side. Their SCUBA section of their website is very generic and had a number of phrases that made me... smile. Well, it is an Eco resort, as they say.

I speak from long term experience in the Bay Islands. Renting and driving any sort of vehicle is not recommended and can be very problematic in terms of liability and your freedom. Hire a driver, it's not very expensive.

Bottom line is- as with any "deal", be aware of what is included and how much it will cost to add-in what you wanted. As you can see, the Palmetto Bay website only mentions diving obliquely, and there is no description of any sort, much less a price list. Their hotlinked dive pages are quite dead.

Caveat emptor.

I shall have to defer to Doc. Just realized the map I was looking at has Crawfish rock on southside east of cocoview. So I referred to another map that show crawfish rock on both sides. So then I referred to a third map that showed crawfish rock in BETWEEN Fantasy and Cocoview. Having been to both of those resorts it does seem quite unlikely to be there. Doh!

Don't feel bad- there are (for real) two different distinct places on Roatan called Sandy Bay.

There is a rock between CCV and FI that has Crawfish under it, so maybe....

The maps that various merchants and soda-pop retailers have printed over the years are fairly flexible in terms of reality. Now that cruise ships have arrived, it has gotten quite artistic.

I was involved in the immediate response to Hurricane Mitch back in 1998. Before I left home, I hit Kinkos and made numerous photocopies of the best Bay Islands maps that I had, nav charts (like USCGS style) from the 1970's. When I spread them out in front of the local response team- they were elated... I had the best set of maps.

Onward, into the fog.

Last time I saw Palmetto Bay, it was located in Crawfish Rock, along the Western end of the North side. If you know where French Harbor is, go right over the ridgeline of the island and you will be there.

Before I get all gushy and moist over the prospect of a real great deal on a week at Palmetto Bay, I would like to hear exactly what this super great rate includes and what it costs. Call me a skeptic. I found previous (2012) internet coupon deals and if you had three friends it became workable. It is not a dive resort, it is a resort that offers some diving.

Their description of their diving environ is a bit elastic, as they seem to tout dive sites that I would place in the category of "quite a hump" from their location... at least the location that I put them at there on the North side. Their SCUBA section of their website is very generic and had a number of phrases that made me... smile. Well, it is an Eco resort, as they say.

I speak from long term experience in the Bay Islands. Renting and driving any sort of vehicle is not recommended and can be very problematic in terms of liability and your freedom. Hire a driver, it's not very expensive.

Bottom line is- as with any "deal", be aware of what is included and how much it will cost to add-in what you wanted. As you can see, the Palmetto Bay website only mentions diving obliquely, and there is no description of any sort, much less a price list. Their hotlinked dive pages are quite dead.

Caveat emptor.

Well they are looking for a place with diving not dive trip as some don't dive. I told them it was very remote and being 24 I think they might get bored there....
they are back to looking at an island in Bahamas or St Croix....I reminded them of the sand gnats on the beaches....but who knows...
thanks
lynn

If sandflies are non-starter, then definitely Roatan should be off their list. :^)

Reactions: Doc
If sandflies are non-starter, then definitely Roatan should be off their list. :^)
Totally...!!

Toured Palmetto Bay a couple of years ago. Was absolutely not impressed at all. Bay was windy as hell and full of sea grass (West Bay where we were staying was not windy at all that day), beach totally covered with washed up sea grass and debris. The main restaurant/lodge thing you walk into looked like it was in dire need of TLC. Everything else was spread out and spooky, it reminded me of Jones Town, lots of strange stares and such. The ride to the place was interesting to say the least. It's supposed to be an 'eco' lodge. I don't think I do eco well because you couldn't have paid me to stay there, but eco might be up your alley. I'd say the best feature of that place to me personally would be the fact that it is so far east along the island that at least you would be diving some dive sites that you might never get exposure to.

PS - I just looked at their website, I don't know when those pictures were taken, either they were long ago before everything got run down, or they've recently spruced up the place, cause it didn't look like that when I saw it. Everything was bleached gray by the sun or in need of paint and some bleach to kill the mold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom