Need help for next dive trip destination

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BUDMANOK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
ok here are the criteria

1. on the water
2.house has a sandy natural beach
3. snorkeling right from the house
4. primarily shore diving
5. no/few mosquitos
6. prefer the Caribbean but open to anywhere except Bonaire. (nothing against Bonaire but wives won't go back)
7. doesn't have to be a lot of night life or shopping but need a few restaurants and grocery/liquor stores
8. less than 12 hrs from USA ( I know this is determined by flights but I don't want to travel for days to get somewhere)

any ideas?

Thanks

Roatan dive resorts. Coco View has a lot of following on this board but there are many other options for you.

6. prefer the Caribbean but open to anywhere except Bonaire. (nothing against Bonaire but wives won't go back)

Might be helpful to know what their issue with it was. If it's the lack of a sandy beach, check out Diver Vince's (he posts on this forum) offering, Vinibu, Bellevue #9, which appears to have a sandy beach.

If you want Bonaire-like diving with the addition of sandy beaches, check out the threads on Curacao.

Richard.

Roatan fails the no Mosquitoes test about as miserably as anywhere I can think of. You live in Deet there all week. It's not actually a bad idea to get Malaria protection before going there either. Plus there's Sand Flies on the beaches - I think they're more aggressive than the Mosquitoes. Cocoview doesn't have any beach. There are a few villas for rent there but you do everything at the resort. Which is pretty isolated by geography. It does have about the best shore dive - Newman's Wall or the Prince Albert Wreck - just off the property.

If you're still interested in Roatan, look at Barefoot Cay. It has most of what you want except for no shore diving. They spray/rake the beach and it's a pretty upscale place. There's Beachfront Villas on the cay with double Master Suites - you share the livingroom, gourmet kitchen etc. There's also 2BR lofts on the mainland side - both bedrooms share 1 bath. Equally as nice otherwise just above the dive shop so not as private during the day.

We like Barefoot Divers also. It's very near (walking?) to French Harbour where several of the largest markets are. A few nearby restaurants but the majority of that is in the West End on the other side of the island - 20-30mins. away. Good shallow snorkeling as the lagoon in front of the property is protected by a barrier reef farther out - it doesn't get much past about 20' deep. There's even a palapa at the end of a short dock for access. Mary's Place - one of the signature Roatan dives - is 5mins. out by boat from there.

The best beach on Roatan is in West Bay. There's a few rentals that border it in areas but there's no shore dive there except one shallow one. You can pick them out on vrbo.com.

Really if shore diving is a priority, you don't really want Roatan. 7 of the 10 shore dives there are off private property. A couple of the others are better snorkels. Roatan is really not the best place to drive drive around either - the liability issue if you hit something. It's why many of the AI's - like CCV - offer airport pickup. Some people go there, dive there, eat there and never leave the resort all week. Even if you find places to shore dive - you can off Sandy Bay with a very long surface swim out to the reef - it's almost impossible to find tank rentals that you can remove from a diveshop/boat operator.

Places that meet most of your criteria - it's a pretty short list when you add in the shore diving component and subtract the places you've been multiple times:

Aruba - know nothing about it.
St. Croix - an acquaintance owns a condo off Cane Bay. He told us where his property is is pretty rocky. So he walks 200' down to his neighbors yard and walks out to the wall from there. He doesn't rent his property though and I believe the complex is secured. There is public access to Cane Bay directly from the Cane Bay Dive shop also. On the other side of the island the Frederickstad Pier is a good shore dive when no cruise ship is moored. That's pretty much all I know about St. Croix.

I've been to Curacao and Grand Cayman so PM if you have questions on either. Maybe poke around here for other options: Be Alive... ShoreDive!

Thought about Hawaii? You could get everything you want in certain areas of Maui: North Kihei, Wailea, parts of Kahana (in the shadow of the big condo mega tower areas) or Napili/Kapalua. Most near a shore dive as well. Especially in Wailea - there must be 1/2 dozen shore dives within about a 5min. drive. You don't tend to find a lot of waterfront properties since the beaches are all public access so there's usually a path/road to cross. And a lot of the better waterfront land is condos due to the cost of living there. Or seriously expensive private homes.

I think there's also a few beachfront rentals in the Kohala Coast area on the Big Island. And a few shore dives nearby. Much of the Kona coast farther south is waterfront but not beachfront - there's sharp lava waterfront. Once you get about 3-4 miles south, it gets pretty remote fast.

Maybe even look at the Poipu Beach area of Kauai. I haven't been there in decades but we rented a villa there once that was walking distance to the beach. And 5mins. drive to Koloa Landing - the best shore dive on that side. Not a lot of other shore dive options on Kauai though - in the winter all the north side options are shut down also due to weather.

Last edited:
Cane Bay Dive Shop has rentals across the street from a nice beach. Kick out 200 yards and the reef starts at 30 feet and heads down to 3,000. A nice bar/restaurant on site and at least two more within walking distance. Cane Bay SCUBA also has boats dives.

There is no place mosquito free....

CocoView Roatan is great, but no sandy beach. Yes, shore diving is fabulous. No pool, no resort. Totally wrong for this. It is a dive resort for DIVERS and snorkelers, that is it. Rustic, over water rooms.
CCV2013_topside391.jpg

I would say maybe Anthony's Key Resort on Roatan on other side of island might be better, but I have been told there is NOT shore diving there.
Anthony's Key Resort - Roatan - Honduras
They do have all the other things he seems to be wanting.

Back
Top Bottom