need help identifying fishes from Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

archman

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm having trouble identifying some fishes from Blue Heron Bridge.
1. Beats me. Female green razorfish maybe is the closest I can figure.
2. I would have defaulted to a shortnose batfish, but the yellow fringed pectorals are indicated for the polka dot batfish. Does the shortnose batfish ever have yellow-fringed pectoral fins?
3. Some kind of filefish. Planehead? Pygmy? Fringed?
4. I thought this was a goby, but I can't find a good match. Closest thing I can find in the Humann book is a Pearl Blenny. It's 3 inches long and was parked on top of a mud dome.

Attachments

• PICT0042.JPG
    PICT0042.JPG
    170.2 KB · Views: 81
  • unident batfish BHB July2022.JPG
    unident batfish BHB July2022.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 80
  • unident filefish BHB July 2022.JPG
    unident filefish BHB July 2022.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 80
  • unident goby or blenny BHB July2022.JPG
    unident goby or blenny BHB July2022.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 74
1, Green razorfish, yes.
2. Can't see it well enough in the picture. What I see looks like a shortnose. REEF.org survey say the shortnose is bout 4 times as prevalent as the polka-dot.
3. I'll go with Pygmy. Do you have a size? Pygmys are more common at BHB than the others.
4. Goby, not Blenny (no sirri). Orange-spotted, I think.

1, Green razorfish, yes.
2. Can't see it well enough in the picture. What I see looks like a shortnose. REEF.org survey say the shortnose is bout 4 times as prevalent as the polka-dot.
3. I'll go with Pygmy. Do you have a size? Pygmys are more common at BHB than the others.
4. Goby, not Blenny (no sirri). Orange-spotted, I think.
Thanks!

The filefish is about 4 inches from snout to peduncle, which I did not find terribly helpful.

For the goby thing, would you be able to tell me what features you're using to ID it? It's in the right size range for an orange spotted goby, but this fish had zero orange on it anywhere. Unless those dark-flecked goldish spots along its body are within the "orange" range?

Orange isn't really necessary. Here are some pix, and a description, from the Fish ID interactive DVD. Look especially at the picture in the top right, blown up after the group of pix.
1659126801967.png

1659127357192.png

"An elongate grayish-white to tan body, darker dorsally, with 5 to 7 pairs of brownish blotches along midside and a scattering of irregular small orange spots on the rest of the body and fins. The orange spots form narrow vertical lines on the caudal fin. The first dorsal spine of the adult (male or female) is elongated. The body is unscaled and there are no lateral line pores on the head. This fish grows to 3.5 inches in length."

Hey, it's my best shot from your picture!

Sounds great to me. I'll tag that sucker down as a saucy orange-spotted goby. Thank you for your help!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom