Need Help Planning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hqduong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I always dreamed about doing a dive trip to the great barrier reef. I will be out there for work and taking a week off personal time to do some diving.

I will be in Sydney.

Can someone suggest what I should do to? I know that Sydney isn't the closest place to get to a liveaboard.

1. Where should I depart from?
2. How do I get from Sydney to wherever I should depart from?
3. Any Liveaboards people recommend? I prefer somewhere with a lot of life, Coral is cool, but I like places with a lot of fishes.

Thanks in advance!

The Great Barrier Reef is a long way from Sydney. About 2.5 hour flight from Sydney to Cairns. Only liveaboards now (I think) run from Cairns or Port Douglas (1 hour drive at least from Cairns). No idea on liveaboards as the one we used to use went broke. Other options are to visit places in NSW, say South West Rocks, Coffs Harbour and Byron Bay (Google them). Could drive from Sydney to Brisbane and then fly home from there.

You will need to fly to cairns from Sydney. Most of the boats depart from there. Take a look at mikeball livaboards, I have been on several and they are best as far as I'm concerned. You should head for osprey reef for the best diving. By the way, don't overlook Sydney for diving, there are some great spots

Ive never been there, but Western Australia (Ningaloo reef, navy pier) is supposed to be the place for lots of large fish. I dont think there are liveaboards there just day trips.

Also, Townsville has the Yongala, which is a big fish hotspot as well. Townsville is near Cairns in Queensland and is part of the GBR. There is a 3 day liveaboard.

Cairns (Cod hole and Osprey reef) is fantastic diving and has a great variety of fish and coral.

You can get the train from anywhere in Sydney to get to Sydney airport.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom