Need help please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KROBI

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was given this compressor. and I'm trying to find out what brand, I think it is a Walter Kiddie. The filter housing has a mfg date of 1976, I cant find anything on the compressor. Thanks for any help..
Kenny

Attachments

• DSC00001.JPG
    DSC00001.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 121
  • DSC00002.JPG
    DSC00002.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC00003.JPG
    DSC00003.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 108
  • DSC00004.JPG
    DSC00004.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC00005.JPG
    DSC00005.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 113
It is a Walter Kidde. The block is a late model type similar to the flame thrower compressors. The wire type fan guard is a tell; also, it has left hand rotation for direct mount to an engine. These blocks were cast integral with the second stage cylinders and certain other economy measures were taken. They were supplied in three stage and four stage. They use aircraft instrument oil (MIL L 6085-protecair.com) or Mobil JET II turbine oil (MIL PRF 23699). The overall assembly looks a bit unusual, homemade, I guess.

pescador775:
It is a Walter Kidde. The block is a late model type similar to the flame thrower compressors. The wire type fan guard is a tell; also, it has left hand rotation for direct mount to an engine. These blocks were cast integral with the second stage cylinders and certain other economy measures were taken. They were supplied in three stage and four stage. They use aircraft instrument oil (MIL L 6085-protecair.com) or Mobil JET II turbine oil (MIL PRF 23699). The overall assembly looks a bit unusual, homemade, I guess.

Not sure if it is homemade. Do you know if parts can be bought?? Not sure, but I may have to replace the filter housing.

Hard to say. Proper communication with a vendor would be important. Bargain Marge (protecair.com) sells mil surplus equipment but I think she is about out of Kidde pumps. She might have some parts but if so, for the three stage only. You didn't tell me what that is so I can't say for sure. I have not seen an assembly quite like that.

KROBI:
Not sure if it is homemade. Do you know if parts can be bought?? Not sure, but I may have to replace the filter housing.

KROBI:
I was given this compressor. and I'm trying to find out what brand, I think it is a Walter Kiddie. The filter housing has a mfg date of 1976, I cant find anything on the compressor. Thanks for any help..
Kenny

I was running the compressor Saturday and the motor blew up, parts went every where. My question, can I hook a electric motor to the compressor? and if so what size? This was the first time I had it running. I was trying to fill a tank, it ran about 7-8 min before the motor let go. I checked the pressure in the tank, and very little, if any air was added.If the compressor need's to be over hauled, can you get parts? or it may cost more than it's worth. Thanks for any information..
Kenny

Krobi, how the heck can anyone answer those questions from afar? You need to identify the compressor so we know what output. Yes, an electric motor could be substituted. What size is the engine? An electric motor should be 3500 rpm and 1hp/cubic foot. If the compressor output is zero and there is no blowing off of relief valves on the stages it is possible that the first stage intake valve is warped. An air line could be leaking. Maybe the drain wasn't closed. There are lots of possibilities. However, complete overhaul would not be worth the trouble and expense. For example, if a #3 or #4 piston is bad the complete stage must be replaced.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom