Need help to identify some creatures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The pacific Tubastrea's aren't native to the Caribbean, and they're spreading like wildfire. Unlike the lionfish invasion, Tubastrea's coming from the Caribbean and moving north.

Maybe when they meet they'll annihilate one another.

Any non-native species is bad. There are usually no natural predators for the non-natives and they push out native species. Not a good thing.

There are MANY places in S FLA that have been infested by the beautiful cup coral. I see Cup Coral on many dive sites here. In particular, the Tenneco Towers are well coated with cup coral, and so is a wreck called "Captain Tony" aka MV Becks.

I can say that the amount of cup coral that has infested the captain tony has almost doubled in the last 2 years (the amount of time that I've been diving that wreck)

They are wonderful to look at at night though :wink:

This is from the Captian Tony @ Night

cupcoral-1-30-06.JPG

Interesting. Who knew all environmental nuisances weren't ugly?

I like the idea of the cup corals battling the lion fish to the brink of extinction. Sounds like a movie in the making to me...

D_O_H:
Interesting. Who knew all environmental nuisances weren't ugly?

I like the idea of the cup corals battling the lion fish to the brink of extinction. Sounds like a movie in the making to me...
Well... another example of this on land, is a Daisy that grows wildly in Colorado. My wife loves daisys, but the county considers them a noxious weed. Go figure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom