Need help with a few from Malta (Mediterranean)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vondo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
2011 Malta-4e11bac0.jpg2011 Malta-4e11bdf4.jpg2011 Malta-4e12d3de.jpg2011 Malta-4e12e89c.jpg2011 Malta-4e1198aa.jpg2011 Malta-4e119658.jpg

I was recently diving for the first time in the Mediterranean. I think I managed to identify all my fish/critters except for these few.

1. Very shallow water in a bay, these very slender fish, I can't find. I can supply a cropped photo if needed.
2-4 are all the same species, I think. At first I thought Ballion's Wrasse, but that's not supposed to be in the eastern Med. Probably in 10m of water in the rocks and sea grass
5 looks like a hawkfish, but isn't I think. Same environment as 2-4
6 saw these little schools of very small bright blue fish several times. No clue what they are. At most 2cm long, probably smaller.

Thanks!

Eric

1 Sorry it is too indistinct. Could be Grey Mullet by the body shape
2,3,4 Look like Corkwing Wrasse which vary greatly in colour
4 Long-snouted Wrasse I think. Only occurs in the Med.
5 No idea

Thanks! Do you have a scientific name for the mullet? I've been trying with Fishbase and they are having issues. Maybe with my higher res version I can confirm. The other two IDs are spot on I think.

Vondo
There are various types of Grey Mullet which is a generic name. Have a look at Chelon labrosus, Liza aurata, Liza ramada, Liza saliens. There are others too in the Med. but doubt you will be able to differentiate any of them without quite detailed photos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom