Need help with several from Monterey Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vondo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've got seven photos I can't positively ID from Monterey Bay in April. My first time diving here although I've been in San Diego a couple of times. I have the REEF book for fish, but could not find great online resources for the inverts. What I did find:
Divebums: Marine Creature ID (Dive Bums from SD)
Invertebrates - Animal Guide List at the Monterey Bay Aquarium (Monterey Bay Aquarium)
Monterey Scuba Board: Monterey Aquatic Life (Monterey Scuba Board)

So here are the photos:

5341b6a2.jpgMy guess is a yellowtail or olive rock fish
5341b7c6.jpgUnknown crab
5341b534.jpgTurban snail?
5341b630.jpgSea slug or nudi?
534063b4.jpgClosest I could come is a black-eye goby, but it's quite different than the others I saw
53406278.jpgUrchin
53406484.jpgAnemone

Thanks for any help that can be given.

I've got seven photos I can't positively ID from Monterey Bay in April. My first time diving here although I've been in San Diego a couple of times. I have the REEF book for fish, but could not find great online resources for the inverts. What I did find:
Divebums: Marine Creature ID (Dive Bums from SD)
Invertebrates - Animal Guide List at the Monterey Bay Aquarium (Monterey Bay Aquarium)
Monterey Scuba Board: Monterey Aquatic Life (Monterey Scuba Board)

So here are the photos:

View attachment 194369My guess is a yellowtail or olive rock fish (Kelp rockfish)
View attachment 194370Unknown crab
View attachment 194371Turban snail? (Looks like a limpet)
View attachment 194372Sea slug or nudi? (Nudibranch, not sure which one though)
View attachment 194373Closest I could come is a black-eye goby, but it's quite different than the others I saw
View attachment 194374Urchin (Red urchin)
View attachment 194375Anemone (White spotted rose anemone)

Thanks for any help that can be given.

Hope this helps.

The 3rd photo looks to me like some sort of top snail, rather than a limpet. It's definitely not a turban snail, in any case.

The anemone looks to be a rose anemone, Urticina piscivora, rather than a white-spotted rose anemone (Urticina lofotensis). The tentacles of these species can have a lot of color variation, but the colors of their respective columns are pretty consistent.

Here's another site you can check out for IDs:

SeaNet

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom