Need help with several from Red Sea (Dahab)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vondo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
RedSea2012-Photos-4fdd76b6.jpg
This fish should be easy but I cannot find it in my books.

RedSea2012-Photos-4fdd7c1d.jpg
I assume that this is a brittle star of some kind, but I cannot see anything with the coloring/pattern.

RedSea2012-Photos-4fdd7c31.jpg
I really like these shrimp, but cannot find them. They have purple knees and orange pincers.

RedSea2012-Photos-4fde91ad.jpg
Again this should be easy, but I cannot find it.

RedSea2012-Photos-4fdf63e8.jpg
This little guy was buried in the sand. No ideas what he is.

RedSea2012-Photos-4fdf6791.jpg
This starfish is just simply not in my book.

RedSea2012-Photos-4fe2d8da.jpg
I don't even know where to begin with this brown and yellow striped critter. I don't even know what type of animal it is.

RedSea2012-Photos-4fdebb16.jpg
I didn't notice this shrimp until I got back home. Again, cannot find him in my book.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Eric

First one is a Clown Coris I believe - Coris aygula

Fourth looks like some sort of Damsel but I don't have a Red Sea ID book. The only ones I can spot on Fishbase with that large spot on the rear dorsal area are not supposed to be in the Red Sea although Pomacentrus nagasakiensis is found in the Maldives so maybe.... Hope somebody can be more helpful.

As Jim says the first one is a Clown Coris, in fact the female of the species, the male is much different.

Can't help much about the shrimps or starfish, but the small buried fish looks similar to a juvenile crocodile fish, just looking at the markings over the eyes.

GTS_8015Csig.jpg

View attachment 132028
This fish should be easy but I cannot find it in my books.

I'm going to "cheat" & use my Red Sea Reef Guide by Debelius.
Clown Sand Wrasse

View attachment 132029
I assume that this is a brittle star of some kind, but I cannot see anything with the coloring/pattern.

Possibly a Sawtooth Feather Star.

View attachment 132030
I really like these shrimp, but cannot find them. They have purple knees and orange pincers.

Closest I can find in the book is the Long-arm Shrimp.

View attachment 132031
Again this should be easy, but I cannot find it.

Reticulated Damselfish. (Had to look elsewhere on the web for this one.)

View attachment 132032
This little guy was buried in the sand. No ideas what he is.

Already Id'd as Crocodile Fish or Carpet Flathead.

View attachment 132033
This starfish is just simply not in my book.

Have to admit I can't find a specific name for this starfish either.

View attachment 132034
I don't even know where to begin with this brown and yellow striped critter. I don't even know what type of animal it is.

Possibly the legs of an Ornate Spiny Lobster.

View attachment 132035
I didn't notice this shrimp until I got back home. Again, cannot find him in my book.

Appears to be an Ornate Partner Shrimp.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Eric

Hope that helped!

Hi Submariner

Can you give the Latin name for the "Reticulated Damselfish" please? If you search using those words, Google brings up Dascyllus reticulatus which is very different. (I have a Debelius book for the Indo-Pacific and some of his common names are weird and way out.)

Thanks. Still working through these. My ID book is Lieske and Myers.

As for reticulated damsel, that book has it as Pomacentrus trichrourus which seems like a good fit. Looks like the really young fish can be quite brilliant.

---------- Post Merged at 09:08 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:38 AM ----------

Hope that helped!

Very much. But the thing that you suggest may be a feather star, I just don't see it. The width of the arms to the width of the "feathers" is wrong. It looks most like a Sea Fan Brittle Star to me, but I don't think the habitat was quite right for it. Here are the outstanding ones, including one new:

RedSea2012-Photos-4fdd7c1d.jpgThe above mentioned feather star or brittle star
RedSea2012-Photos-4fdf6791.jpgA sea star. This was quite large. 20-30cm armtip to armtip I think.
RedSea2012-Photos-4fe2d8da.jpgSuggested: legs of an Ornate Spiny Lobster
RedSea2012-Photos-4fe2ec97.jpgLargish fish swimming off in the distance. Sorry for the crummy shot.

Thanks everyone for your help,

Eric

View attachment 132317Largish fish swimming off in the distance. Sorry for the crummy shot.

Thanks everyone for your help,

Eric

This one could be a Bigeye Emperor, but it's kind of hard to tell -- See picture below.

---------- Post Merged at 03:32 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:20 PM ----------

Hi Submariner

Can you give the Latin name for the "Reticulated Damselfish" please? If you search using those words, Google brings up Dascyllus reticulatus which is very different. (I have a Debelius book for the Indo-Pacific and some of his common names are weird and way out.)

Unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to find that original picture. However, I did find a similar one indicating that it may in fact be a Blue Devil Damsel, Chrysiptera cyanea.

Sorry for the confusion: I can't recall seeing one of those in the Red Sea during our trips, but that obviously doesn't mean they aren't around! <lol>

Attachments

• 016_16.jpg
    016_16.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 80
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom