Need HP hose to mount Perdix AI transmitter. Recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

“Can you check my air?’
“Sure!” Then, quietly, “why is this so tight?”
“THATS NOT MY A...”
Pssssst!

I know people watch their own gear. I thought I would do the same. In my experience, diving on enough different charters, or even with different buddies, someone will eventually grab your transmitter like a handle. Yes, most experienced DMs know to watch out for them. All it takes is one situation where the boat is crowded, someone was late, someone got distracted, or whatever. I tried SO hard to keep an eye on mine, but I still found my transmitter a little loose on its threaded component, then a buddy IN MY DIVE CLUB mistake my transmitter for my air valve.

That’s not going to happen again - I’m ordering a hose.

I just got back from a trip to Cocos and the AI worked perfectly! I'm spoiled already. The 4" hose from DGX was fine, but after watching the DMs move the gear around in the pangas for a week I'm beginning to think it's a solution to a non-existent problem.

My last transmitter lasted from 2003 for my old Oceanic VT Pro and hundreds of dives in Cozumel where the boat captains grab the 1st stage to pull it out of the water on the little panga style boats. Never an issue........so 2003 to 2018 (when I bought my Perix AI)?

I think it is a non issue - mounted my new transmitter to 1st stage directly again and will not worry about it for another 10+ years lol :)

I use a standard 6 inch HP hose (remember to buy a spool) for each of my transmitters on my sidemount rig.
I often pass one tank up onto the boat before I climb up, sometimes I will pass up all my tanks (one of the advantages of Sidemount).
  • The short hose does not flop around when pressurized.
  • First stages lie flat easier in a reg bag when travelling.
  • There is enough "give" that if the tanks should fall / roll then the transmitter is not subject to as much stress.
  • Absolutely no chance of the transmitter being used as a lifting handle.

Your gear is your gear, configure it as you wish, balance the chances of damage to the transmitter against adding another "leak point" to your configuration.
Some divers will say "not an issue never had one damaged". I say "never had one damaged AND never had a leak"

Enjoy your diving.

I use a standard 6 inch HP hose (remember to buy a spool) for each of my transmitters on my sidemount rig.
I often pass one tank up onto the boat before I climb up, sometimes I will pass up all my tanks (one of the advantages of Sidemount).
  • The short hose does not flop around when pressurized.
  • First stages lie flat easier in a reg bag when travelling.
  • There is enough "give" that if the tanks should fall / roll then the transmitter is not subject to as much stress.
  • Absolutely no chance of the transmitter being used as a lifting handle.

Your gear is your gear, configure it as you wish, balance the chances of damage to the transmitter against adding another "leak point" to your configuration.
Some divers will say "not an issue never had one damaged". I say "never had one damaged AND never had a leak"

Enjoy your diving.
I do the same, as when I'm taking pictures (my favorite thing to do when diving), it is nice to look at my wrist. Do plan on upgrading my one non AI Perdix to an AI, to have proper redundancy. For tech diving, I go back to an SPG until I upgrade my other DC.

My last transmitter lasted from 2003 for my old Oceanic VT Pro and hundreds of dives in Cozumel where the boat captains grab the 1st stage to pull it out of the water on the little panga style boats. Never an issue........so 2003 to 2018 (when I bought my Perix AI)?

I think it is a non issue - mounted my new transmitter to 1st stage directly again and will not worry about it for another 10+ years lol :)

I didn't have any issues either... until I did. Not from someone picking it up by the transmitter, but by someone slinging my gear over the gunwale and, presumably, impacting it on the side (I didn't see this happen, as I was on the ladder). If it had been connected to something with some "give" this wouldn't have happened.

Attachments

• IMG_3685.jpeg
    IMG_3685.jpeg
    113 KB · Views: 78
I just switched to the @rsingler method of a long"ish" HP hose over the shoulder feeding an splitter with a button gauge on the face (quick reference), and the transmitter on the end. Tucked through a chest ring or banded to something. Very nice....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom