need info on mid 70s scubapro knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I got my certification when I was 11 and my parents bought me a knife as a gift. It is a Scubapro, Italian made with serial number 03124. Overall length 12 inches, blade length 7.5 inches. Handle is synthetic bone (stag?). I can't seem to find anything about it on the internet. Was purchased in 1976, or maybe late 1975. Were there many of these made? Seems awfully big in comparison with a lot of dive knives-is this unusual?

No, at that time they were all that big. My late 70s SP knives have a black, synthetic handle though and yes, a lot of these were made. What was the question?

I recently saw a vintage scubapro knife with a staghorn handle go for auction on eBay, and it sold for over $200.

Although it wasn't really a practical knife for diving, it had a really cool bowie-style blade.

I tried to do a quick search on eBay, and didn't find it.

If that's the same knife you have, I'm jealous.

I've seen about 10-15 of them sold on Ebay. They bring a little more money than other SP knives. I normally see them sell for around 70 bucks or more with sheath. They are not very common. I also think the blade design is not real practical for diving applications, but it is an impressive knife and a cool piece of older dive gear. I would hang onto it.

Many thanks for your replies. You're right-it's not very practical. My instructor at the time said it would have been useful if I ever got stuck between two BC ferries. My biggest problem was that at the time the knife and sheath were as long as my entire lower leg. Made for awkward walks if we were beach diving. Thanks again.

I still have my ScubaPro knife as you described. I bought it in the mid 70's. Darn thing could be used as a sword. I am 6'3" and it runs from my knee to my ankle! (almost). Keep it, I am. They were popular with the ScubaPro dive shops. They were not real cheap either.

Back
Top Bottom