need information on Utila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oceanbound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I need some assistance. I'm making travel arrangements to Utila. This is our first trip there and actually my first dive trip where I will fly somewhere. :D (many cruises though) I have been researching the boards as well as the internet for the past two weeks but looking for maybe some quicker answers from those who live there or have gone recently. So here goes:

I have the flight booked, going into San Pedro Sula, next month and leaving from there.

1. Flight arrives at 4:30 PM on a Friday. Is there any way at all to get to Utila that Friday or will we need to stay in San Pedro for the night? If so, are there any recommendations for an reasonably priced, clean, safe room in San Pedro.

2. staying at Utila - After all the research I believe I really don't want an all inclusive. Nothing against them at all but I feel that we would get a better experience and enjoy all that the island has to offer more on our own. Just a general idea I think, and please correct me if I'm wrong, that we would spend less doing our own thing.
so, what would any of you recommend as far as accommodations in Utila? I have read so much I'm tired of researching. I do have some ideas but wondering where others might have stayed.

3. Dive shops - looks as if we would be better off, from researching the boards, is to wait till we get there and find a dive shop that we prefer. Is there any negatives to that idea? such as are they going to be booked in January?

4. any tips or recommendations about traveling to San Pedro Sula and Utila? I know to pack light, try to carry the important things in one bag. Luckily there will not be a connecting flight so hopefully our bags go from MIA to SAP with us.

A couple of quick thoughts. If you want to make it to Utila in one day, I suggest seeing if you can change your flight to come through Roatan (RTB). If you come in on the continental flight through houston, you can catch a puddle jumper flight over that same day. The flight into Roatan is more expensive, but you won't lose the day (or the following morning) for travel.

Lots of non-AI options on Utila. Do you want something totally remote or do you want something in town? Both have up sides and down. You can spend more or less depending on what you are looking for in terms of lodging. If you want to stay in town, one of my favorites is the Boat House. Its right on the water and right next to Alton's dive shot. You can find the information here: Destination Utila Vacation Rentals, Premium Lodging, Reasonable Prices

If you are looking for high end and your own dive boat/captain, you might give us a look: Home Page

Not likely that the dive shops will be booked in January. The key with the SAP to UTI flight is making sure that your luggage gets on the plane. I've had mine misplaced more than once. It always shows up though, usually right before you are to leave. Again, that's why I recommend the RTB flight if its doable. The charter to Utila won't leave your luggage.

Hope that helps.

thanks for all the info. I've resigned myself to the fact that we will have to stay overnight at SAP due to the arrival time. Houston/continental is not really an option as I already have the fight arranged and I found a good deal from MIA to SAP.

I'm kind of looking at staying in or near town, don't really want to do the remote thing as we want to see what we can of Utila.

I believe I found the boat house web site last night in my research. There were about 3 or 4 places so far i found I think i like and that was one of them.

thanks for the insight and any other info or tips would be appreciated

What price range are you looking to pay for accommodations?

Best diving is on the north side of the island. Booking a "resort stay" at places like Utilia Dive Center will most likely assure you access to these better sites. Captain Morgans also dives there daily.

Many shops pack the boats with dive classes and stay on the front side away from the better dive sites.

hum... that's one thing I hadn't thought of and should have. the location and of students packed in the dive boats. somthing to think on... Not that i at all mind diving with students but since I doubt I'll be able to afford going to Utila again in the near future, I want to see some better spots.

I was thinking no more than $70 a night which doesn't seem to be a problem with many of the places I've seen and those usually have TV, and internet. Now I'm being watching more carefully after reading that some don't have hot water. I may be a bit more spoiled than I thought I was but I feel I could posisbly live without internet, know I can live without a phone or TV but highly unlikely I'd like myself without hot water.

I have sent an inquiry to coralview beach resort and waiting to hear back from them but meanwhile still looking.

I've read on line where some people have rented places then leave and look elsewere due to issues. Mind you, I could care less about any type of "Hilton" atmostphere but do want hot water and a clean, safe place.

if you can't tell, I don't do planning very well and need lots of help since I'm planning this on my own...... and for those of you who might know me, don't tell my other half, this is supposed to be a Christmas present and he doesn't know:D

One thing to understand about Capt. Morgans is that it's in the cays on the SW corner of the island - not "mainland" Utila. Pretty good boat ride to Utila Town from there.

Also in case you're considering one of the better AI's (Laguna Beach, Deep Blue or Utopia Village) since they're on the other side of the lagoon channel, all access to town is via boat only also.

You can't really see it on the map, but right where it says Lower Lagoon, there's a break in the shoreline. Deep Blue and Laguna Beach's boats dock on the lagoon side. Utopia is slightly further west along the south shore.

We stayed at Deep Blue Mar. 2009, it's nice but pretty isolated. To add to what Kathy posted, I thought 2 of the best dives were Blackish Point and the Pinnacles on the north side. And Black Hills on the south.

Usually when we went to the north side in the morning it was us and maybe 1-2 other boats nearby. The Pretty Bush dive site was just off Deep Blue, we often saw the same (crowded) boats from one of the diveops in town there in the afternoons. From our patio, you could count the divers entering the water. It seemed like 20 or more - they'd often moor 2 boats nearby.

Here's a divesite map - it also shows the cays, lagoon etc.: http://www.aboututila.com/Maps/Photos/Map-Utila-Dive-Sites.gif

There isn't any place in Utila comparable to a Hilton other than the AI resorts. Everything else is Days Inn/Motel 6 and worse. The Colibri is a decent hotel in town. Mango Inn is also nice. Jade Seahorse if you can get a room. Those are probably the 3 best in town outside of Utila Lodge.

You may want to rent a night at the Colibri and check out other places once you're there if Colibri is too expensive for you.

For diving the Bay Islands College of Diving is closest to Colibri. Paradise Divers is right in town on the water. It seems to be mostly backpackers so if you're young it should be fine. If you're older and want an older dive crowd check out Utila Lodge.

Oh, stay at the Metrotel Express in San Pedro Sula. It's also Days Inn quality but safe and not far from the airport. You can arrange a cab from the hotel to La Ceiba and take the ferry from there to Utila on Saturday. It's cheaper than flying and probably just as fast if you time it right. I'd recommend flying back to SAP from Utila, though. You can go to Morgan's travel on the dock to reserve a flight once you get there.

One thing to understand about Capt. Morgans is that it's in the cays on the SW corner of the island - not "mainland" Utila. Pretty good boat ride to Utila Town from there.
It is a long ride with Cpt Morgans and boats are slow. I only mentioned that option if you find yourself stuck on boats which do not dive the North Side & are packed full of students.

I thought 2 of the best dives were Blackish Point and the Pinnacles on the north side. And Black Hills on the south.
My favorites too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom