Need input on Dive System sidemount regulator

Should i buy it?

• Yes

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 12 85.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No. There are way more established, reputable brands that you can get at the same price point, with the benefit of worldwide service etc

There are also very good brands at half the price.

That’s not to say that there is anything wrong with these but I would never buy a brand that nobody has heard of in the rest of the world at that price.
Thanks for the input. Really appreciate it. Will probably take a look at other brands specifically brands that are more reputable especially in term of sidemount. Cheers.

Have a look here:

Sidemount Sets | Dive Gear Express®

Their Deep6 is a lower cost version made especially for them. $600
The DiveRite regs are very good, I am not sure how easy the service kits will be to get, I get them on eBay and let my LDS service them for me. $749

For the original Deep6 Signature, look here ($900):

Deep 6 Signature Regulator Sidemount Package

I dive these almost exclusively, alternating with my DiveRite depending on student requirements (my DR is set up for left and right feeds)

Apeks has a very good reputation, in the US the price is crazy but in Europe its a lot more reasonable $1400:

Apeks Sidemount Regulator Set

Scubapro is also widely known and reputable $1270:

Scubapro Sidemount Regulator Kit - MK25 EVO / G260

I have dived the TecLine regs they are not bad and very good value for money $790:

Tecline R2 TEC Sidemount Regulator Set

+1 on @RainPilot post.

Don't be influenced on a Brand recommended (or pushed) by your instructor. Once you have the specific requirements (turret etc) Take a good look.

I'm very strong on brands that you can easily get serviced. Yes some might be "similar to brand xx" but some shops might not be able to get teh parts, AND you don't want to be limited to only one shop.

I've tried Deeps 6 (RainPilot) loaned me a set to try, and while they're good, I prefered the Apex - purely because it's easier for me to get them (go into a store rather than deal with International shipping). Thankfully I don't have to pay North American prices for Apex.

I certainly wouldn't go near a brand that isn't well known and established in the market place.

As an Instructor, I'll show students equipment, I'll explain the differences and I'll give them a few options. I'll never tell them they should only buy XX brand or model, and I wouldn't respect anyone who did

Go with something that can easily be serviced internationally like Apeks or ScubaPro.

I went with Apeks, even though I’m in the States. I already had one Apeks XTX 50 I had bought new in box from someone here on SB and saved about $150. The other Apeks I won at an event my shop hosted. I just had to add hoses and spgs for my SM set, which ran be about $400. Still came out much cheaper than buying the Apeks SM set here in the States, which runs about $1500!

I have both Scubapro Mk25’s w/ G260’s and Apeks DS4’s w/ XTX50’s for sidemount. I would prefer the Mk25’s for the breathing but usually opt for the DS4’s as the water temp is 40 or less. Where I live, parts and maintenance a little easier for the Scubapro’s. Extremely happy with both.

Thanks alot for all the feedbacks, really appreciate it. Im heavily leaning toward Apeks now and will probably get a sidemount set from them. While im at it anyone have any good recommendation on sidemount bcds? I have tested HOG sidemount bcd mexico style (cant find any picture of it) but the lift is simply not enought for me (fully inflated with 2 tanks attatch and full deep breath and i can only barely float at eye level on the surface). Cheers.

xdeep unless if you can get a combo deal for the apeks regs and sm bcd for some savings.

the hog has something like 40 pounds of lift which should be more than plenty, so it is surprising you are saying it isn't enough.

xdeep unless if you can get a combo deal for the apeks regs and sm bcd for some savings.

the hog has something like 40 pounds of lift which should be more than plenty, so it is surprising you are saying it isn't enough.
Its not the california style one. Its a mexico style one, the actual wing is very small and i doubt tjat it has 40lbs of lift. My brother have a DiveSystem wing with 32lbs of lift and its way bigger than my HOG sm bcd.

I have tested HOG sidemount bcd mexico style (cant find any picture of it) but the lift is simply not enought for me (fully inflated with 2 tanks attatch and full deep breath and i can only barely float at eye level on the surface). Cheers.

What tanks are you using? I have a HOG SM BCD and I dive with two steel + two stages + deco bottle and im fine.

Its not the california style one. Its a mexico style one, the actual wing is very small and i doubt tjat it has 40lbs of lift.

There is only one style of HOG SM BCD, they only made one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom