Need new dive/snorkel fins (Help me choose)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

highflier

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all, been a while since I posted. I am planning on having a busy year in the water. Lots of Snorkel and free dive if you can call it that. I also have full dive gear but will not use that as often.

My current fins seemed to have curled in the heat. just the tips but I really hate them now. So much so that all my snorkel and free diving has been done with the short pod fins. You know the stuff the boggie board guys use.

So it is time to get some real fins for my activities. I am on a tight budget. I am not doing this professionally, But would still like a good pair. Open heal, with/without booties is my target.

Enough with the info, now with questions

Split fins??? I hear ppl rave about them and dis them.

What would you recommend for me..... I like Amazon stuff as it is free and fast shipping and usual a good price. It may sound stupid but something that comes in a bright color would be just a plus. Easier for buddy to spot.

Highflier

open heel without booties is a bad idea, recipe for some wonderful blisters. You want to at least wear neoprene socks with them. the other issue of using with/without boots is the sizing will be a bit wonky.

These have a more foot like contour to the pocket and definitely come in bright colors. I'd go this route. Will require a bit more leg effort than split fins, but they are a lot more efficient in terms of power.
Deep 6 Eddy Fin - Fins

I am not to worried about blisters. I have not had troubles yet. But I have booties that I would use if it were to be a issue, The current fins do not use a springs, they have rubber stretch piece.

Oceanic v16's look close but They seem to be discontinued or small size only.

spring straps aren't what's going to cause blisters, it's your feet rubbing around in the foot pockets. the problem with split fins is that while they are easier to kick, they require more kicks to go the same speed so it's up to you on what you value

because you don't like them, or because the tips bent? Dive Rite XT fins are similar if you liked the way they felt when using them but a bit more robust to tip curling

You may also want to consider freedive fins. We offer a pretty broad selection of types of materials and prices. We only sell closed heel. - full foot pocket fins because these are most popular with serious freedivers (for good reason).

I only sell direct - no retail dive shops or associated overhead, so don't be surprised by our prices.

Thanks
Dano

Well they curled up during a long leave from use. So I actually first thought it was just me. But then I soon learned that I felt like I was better off with the pods.... I am in my mid 50's and average shape, I do have bad knees, so a easy kick would be preferred.

Anybody have luck trying to reform fins with hair dryer or other heat methods? I would not have a issue with giving the old fins a go again if I can get them reshaped. I do know that I always hated them on surface but was much better when I was in scuba gear and under the surface.

hair drier or heat gun under a brick or something should get them to flatten back out. jet fin tips curl all the time when they get pressure against the tip and they always come back to flat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom