Need opinion: Blunt or Pointed tip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depends on what you use the knife for. Other than that only choice becomes material (S/S or Titanium). If you are a spearfisherman you need a "stiletto point", nothing to talk about. If you are a bottom crawler looking for "treasure" you should have a blunt tip for prying. If you are looking for a general purpose knife that does each thing only fairly well get a drop point knife.

A knife is a poor choice for prying. If you need to pry something, take a crow bar.

I carry 2 pocket knives (pointed tips) and a pair of tin snips. If I'm hunting, I'll also carry a larger knife for cutting fish throats.

hey guys.... narrowed down to these 2 choices...

Tusa Imprex SS or UK Blue Tang Hydralloy

any opinions? which one is more prone to rust?

My opinion is that you shouldn't over-think it. Get whichever one you like best.

In my experience, I've had the same pointy dive knife since 1986. It isn't fancy, but it isn't rusty either, and I use it on every dive I've made in the past few years... to hold my long hose in position. It's only been out of the sheath once underwater in over 20 years, and only then because I wanted to see how well it cut nylon line. I'm on my 6th pair of EMT shears though, and they've gotten me out of a number of sticky entanglements... once even saving me from an uncomfortably close call with a baited 5" hook.

I carry the Atlantic Salt by Spyderco as a backup and a generic short BC mount with the same profile. Good serrations on both, and the cheap BC mount is sacrificial. I like the rounded or rescue point. In my opinion, the only thing you need a spear point for is to stick your buddy and pop his inflator just in case a hungry shark is around. (Just kidding about the sticking your buddy part.)

I got a great knife it's a scubapro something or other...it has a blunt tip and the handle has a prying tool (aka a bottle opener) built into it. Talk about usefu, I mean not only does it cut fruit during intervals but I can open beers at the end of the day!

Also if attack truly is a concern maybe a blunt tip is the way to go, in the immortal words of the Sherrif of Nottingham "Because it's DULL, you twit. It'll hurt more."

I like the blunt knife because you can dig with it or pry open things as well as use it as a cutting tool.

ditto...I use my Halcyon blunt tip like a screwdriver on sex bolts, mounting my camera, etc. Very handy...I don't think having the perfect tool for everything is practical for me. I like KISS method, myself.

In answer to your question on post #13, I'ld vote for the UK Blue Tang; but get the Titanium model.

I love the squeeze lock with a tanto tip. Personal pocket knives are always tanto points. Right now i have the ocean master titanium with the blunt tip. Been good and been there when i needed it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom