Need some advice...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba31

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am in need of some advise on how to calm my nervousness a bit before I do my check out dives. I have completed my pool dives and my instructor said that I did extremely well. I felt comfortable sitting on the bottom of the pool going thru all of the exercises. I am supposed to be going to Ginnie Springs to do my check out dives in 4 weeks. However, I have been feeling uneasy about doing all of the exercises at 30+ feet. I am not sure how to relax, per se. I just don't want to drown. :)

You will probably be more around the 15-20 foot range for skills. The good thing about the springs is that the visibility is as good as, if not better, than the pool. Just remember to take the proper exposure suit, because the water temperature is right around 72 degrees year-round.

If your check-out dives are not for another 4 weeks, try to log some more pool time, practicing your skills as much as possible. If you can do that, by the time it is time for check-out, you will be extremely comfortable, and because of the clarity of the spring water, it won't seem that much different from the pool.

Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes!!!

You'll have your instructor and depending on class size some divemasters and/or assistant instructors with you. Their who purpose is to keep you safe if the deification hits the rotary oscillator.

Think about what could go wrong, and how many ways there is to recover. For example, if you have a hard time recovering your regulator you can grab your octo, your instructor will be right there with with his octo in his hand ready to go.

Similar options will be available for every other skill you do. Good luck, you can do it. "You have nother to fear, but fear itself".

I think you'll be fine. I found doing the skills during the checkout dives easier than doing them in shallow water.

The question is, have you done these skills before?

What's that? Yes you have in the pool and you did them correctly, is that right? Did you drown? So what is going to be so different about doing it in the springs? How will being in deeper water (again you will probably do the skills at 20 feet) make a difference in doing the skills. Remember the point of you demonstrating the skills is so you will not drown.

The other nice thing about the open water dives is that you get to watch everyone else as they go through the skills too. Watch them, visualize the skill and that you do it well, and you will be fine. Doing your skills in open water is no different than doing them in the pool, the water is just typically a little colder. Before you go to the platform for your mask skills, dip your face in the water for a few minutes so that when you flood your mask or remove it the water temp. isn't a shock. Good luck and hopefully congratulations on passing...

Boy I remember the first time..I had such a Great instructor (Jim Joseph and July Joseph) First time in the water...there pool,, then a lake (very dark) then the ocean I thought it was clear later I found out that they thought it was cloudy,but hey after the lake anything would of been clear. (that was years ago..now I dive caves and Johnny Richard was my instructor ... If you want to learn do it from one of the Best..You will be find..just take a deep breath and exhaul, look around you will be fine..breath normal.. your in clear water..no sharks only your dive instructor LOL. Best of luck buddy..

I don't think what you are feeling is out of the ordinary. the only time that I felt nervous durring my cert was the first couple minutes of my first check out dive. It was 20' deep with 10' vis in 54 degrees. Once I got to the bottom and had a chance to hang out there for a second it was all gone. I think a big part of what I was feeling was antisipation, not just nervousness. Just take your time and remember what you have learned. By the end you will be wishing you didn't have to go back up.

Pause... breath... think... act...
Repeat as necessary.

Okay. This is what I tell all of my students and it seems to work. Two things.
First- As you are going to the dive, visualize all the things you will do. Start from unpacking your gear. Step by step go through equipment set up, safety checks, getting gear on, go through your entry, bouyancy check, descent, equalization, then your skills. As you do this, think what could go wrong, and how you handle it. You will know that you have an answer now to everything, so you are prepared for any small issue that might crop up- even in your head. This does help you focus and know that you are prepered and ready, and it will stop you from randomly fretting.
Second. You know the panic cycle. Recognize when you begin to feel anxious. I tell people to put their hand out like a stop position. Turn your palm to face you and as you inhale, draw your palm to to your reg. On the complet inhale, your palm is at your reg. On the exhale draw your palm out and away from your reg. On the complete exhale your arm is out straight. Now repeat this as you breathe. Your hand is moving in time with your breath, so it slows as your breathing slows. Focus and watch your hand. think "slowly in....and out....." This is really just focusing and a bit of meditation for breath control. It will calm you down and give you time to relax. Then you think about what is scaring you and realize that you can handle it.

It is normal to feel nervous before your first dive. Some nervousness makes you more alert. Just try to relax and know that you are ready, and it is easier in the open water than in a pool. Chlorine sucks. And you will things to look at! Boy is that awesome. You will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom