Need some advise on a product I purchased recently and corrosion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a spyderco "H1 Stainless" steel dive knife which I do not baby at all and has not rusted and has kept a sharp edge. The only place it has shown rust is around the logo engravings, which I understand is bits of the tooling rusting and no the steel blade. 200 dives with this knife and I frequently forget to rinse it and its still sharp.

My same experience, Spyderco's H-1 stainless is awesome. More good news,about a month ago I visited the Spyderco factory store in Golden, Colorado -- it's about 90 minutes from my home -- and found out that they have begun manufacturing several more of their knife styles with their H-1 steel. Some day, maybe, we'll be able to get H-1 shears.

see: :: Spyderco Search Results :: and enter "H-1" in the search field.

I bought a cheap $14 BC stainless steel dive knife from Scuba.com. Darn thing rusted on first dive during 1 hr surface interval. After the dive, rinsed and rubbed off the rust, then liberally coated with silicone grease I normally use on my dive light o-rings. Second dive the knife had no rust at all. YMMV.

Shears looks like from Fiskar's and they have good quality material.

try that procedure

- rinse shears with water

- find some low concericity phosphoric acid to clean rust , don't touch plastic with acid ( maybe work with Coca Cola too , Mythbusters prove that ;-))))

and now something that should be made before product lives production :
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
solution is very simple (after stainles steel machining with touch of cutting
tools from machining steel , iron , SS become ''ACTIVE'' and can start to RUST!
With simple cooking in solution with citric acid (food preservative ) we
can simply stop rusting of SS!

procedure:

How To Passivate Stainless Steel Parts : Modern
Machine Shop

or maybe more simple: look under ''ASTM A967 citric acid
passivation treatments'' table

Article: Passivation of stainless steels

Could be user error. Did you wipe down the blades and leave the shears open to air dry after rinsing?
Was your storage pouch completely dry before you reholstered? How humid was your storage area?

Honestly I think it's a two way deal with shipping cost refunds. If it was entirely the shop's or manufacturer's fault on the order then they should refund you (such as shipping the wrong item). On the other hand if a product was defective, whether manufacturer or user error, then shipping refunds can go both ways.
Technically you paid Fedex/UPS/USPS the money for shipping, so it really wasn't the shops money to begin with.

If they charged you twice for shipping for sending a wrong item then I would be a little ticked off. Rust on the other hand is a different story; unless most of their customers had this sort of problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom