Need wing advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kanonfodr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking at UTD's 45lb Doubles wing ( UTD Online Store - +1 206 321-0870 - sales@utdequipment.com ) with longing, but upon consultation with the wallet I get a No-Go for purchase. Has anybody found a wing similarly shaped (bent horseshoe) and approximately the same lift capacity but without the premium price tag??

Peace,
Greg

That particular shape should concentrate a majority of it's lift near the top of the cylinders, where they tend to be heaviest. In contrast, my Halcyon wing feels like all the lift is at the butt end of it, combining with my drysuit to have me feel like I'm balancing on a wire for trim or going overboard one way or another, and usually feet floaty :( . Plus my wing is a tad large; I'm diving HP100s, an aluminum plate, and 10 lbs of lead with my drysuit.

A 45 lb wing would be matched much better to my rig, but if I'm gonna buy it twice, I want something that will be a lot better, not just a little bit, or possibly worse.

Peace,
Greg

That UTD wing kind of looks like a dive rite rec wing inflated. The "bent" part you're referring to must be the way the bottom ends of the horseshoe point together when the wing is inflated, correct? With the rec wing that's to make it (supposedly) better for single tank use. I really don't think it will make too much difference in your trim. The air bubble in the wing is going to find the highest point no matter how the wing is shaped.

I'm sure you've thought of this, but have you tried moving your tanks down and your halcyon wing up, maybe shifting weight to your hips as much as possible? If you do move the tanks, you'll still need to be able to reach the valves, but I'm sure you're aware of that.

I've also added a weight pocket to the bottom bolt on my doubles which helped reduce the top weighting problem with the manifold. I believe Deep Sea Supply sells them.

That particular shape should concentrate a majority of it's lift near the top of the cylinders, where they tend to be heaviest.

Nah, doesn't really work like that, it finds its way to the highest point in the wing and that will only be the top if you are vertical or quite head up, rather than horizontal. It will go to the sides of the wing.

I got my 45lb horseshoe wing for $200 from LP but it is OMS :D (btw, single bladder and no bungee cords of death though so it is not too bad).

DSS sells one that is $330, seems like a good deal. https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=1328

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom