Negril change of plans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luvs2playy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Was originally going to Montego Bay but have changed the trip to Negril. Suggestions on dive shops to use? Dives? Ive had dives in the Cozumel, Panama City Beach and my local quarry. We'll be staying in Negril for a week and I thought I would try to get 3 days of diving in. Thx...

If you are staying at one of the AI's, most of them have on-site dive ops.

Don't get your hopes up for quality driving. Operations are ok but diving quality (imho) is very lacking. 50 shades of brown....we got to the point we didn't even dive when we stayed in Negril

Don't get your hopes up for quality driving. Operations are ok but diving quality (imho) is very lacking. 50 shades of brown....we got to the point we didn't even dive when we stayed in Negril

To the contrary, we've been diving Negril since 2003, and every time we return (2008, 2013, and this past December), we have been encouraged by the sustained health of the reefs and the continuing improvement in the fish populations. Not sure of your last sampling, but on six tanks, I can't recall any reefs that showed any declination of quality.

Yes, i see that our AI has a dive shop. Wasn't sure how they compared to any of the others. We're staying at one of the RIU. I am sure I'll have a great time diving.

We usually stay at Couples Negril (I think right next door). First trip we dove with the on-site, next couple of trips we dove with an off-site, as we prefer to do two tanks in the morning, where the on-site at Couples usually do one tank in the morning, and then another early afternoon. On our last trip, we found out that the Couples on-site has changed to where they will do two tanks in the morning on most days. We plan to go back soon, and will be using the on-site when we go.

You might check to see who the on-site is at the RIU, and what their normal schedule is.

And if you are asked where you would like to dive, ask for Throne Room, it is a great dive site!

2be43322-18e2-4ef2-b358-7c099b52340a_zps7frfghy1.jpg

Last edited:
Had a great time diving. Mostly i dove once a day. The only bad thing was leaving the gopro in the car at the airport.

Can you elaborate on who you dove with, and the sites you dove?

Sorry about losing your camera, and I assume you've gone through the motions, and it's history?

I've had many decent dives while staying in Negril. Not great, but definitely fun dives. I've seen more dolphin during dives there than any where else. Also the largest nurse shark ever. But not many larger fish in general.

Last time I was in Jamaica, I noticed a HUGE difference between the marine parks (and other preserved areas) versus the regular ocean. The regular areas were in terrible shape, almost devoid of life. The protected areas (where the dive shops tend to take peope), on the other hand, were far, far more impressive. So keep that in mind, if the divemaster decides to try somewhere radically new, or wants to go drift diving.

On the bright side, the visibility was amazing. I was eighty feet down at one point, and it was as clear as glass - you could make out every detail on the boat hull above us. And in the protected areas, you can have the whole "Jacque Cousteau" experience - schools of fish swimming above, rays digging into the sand . . . lot of purple sea fans, too. More than enough sea urchins, too :wink:

Beyond scuba diving, if you've never been to Jamaica, both the biobay at Falmouth ("Luminous Lagoon") and Dunn's River Falls are worth visiting. Walking up the falls, though, is a bit athletic (but fun). Oh, and everything is deserted on Sunday mornings, so its a great time to get personal attention and avoid crowds.

Back
Top Bottom