Negril Jamaica - Couples Swept Away - Sands Club Site

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the thread data, I have traded emails with Marine Life Divers in Negril and they seem pretty on-the-ball and want the business. I also traded a few emails with Negril Adventure Diving and they were kinda...meh.

if anybody else has expereince(s) holler, I will post a follow-up review. Thanks!

By doing a little snooping, looks like your hotel and the dive shop are south of Seven Mile Beach (most of our dives have been offshore, between town and our hotel). I will be very interested in the location of your dive sites, and how they compare to what we have experienced.

Enjoy!

Yeah, samsura cliffs is pretty far south with no beach. Think the wedding folks are on a bit of a budget (Shock) - Marine life said they will "arrange a transfer" arriving at samsura cliffs at 8:45 and taking me to the dive shop I beleive. Different subject, back in the day you'd get those cheep plastic 35mm cameras that advertised that they were good to 40 ft. but i used them to 90 ft with success. What is the equivelent today?

Different subject, back in the day you'd get those cheep plastic 35mm cameras that advertised that they were good to 40 ft. but i used them to 90 ft with success. What is the equivelent today?

Not sure I can help you there, I dive with a Sealife DC1400 with strobe, don't have any experience with the current generation of throw-aways.

So "Samsara Ciffs" in negril =not good. we had an ocean front room there and it equated to about 2.5 stars in the US, barely. Food was about what we had in college long before "meal plans." Lunch was probably about what you would expect in a US Public school. Dove two days with Marine life Divers and they were very professional. If you go through a dive shop in negril I reccomend them. I thought they overcharged slightly (US $110 for two tank dive) but it was worth it, excellent service. Boat was seaworthy but rough looking. One dive was offshore about 1/2 way between Marine Life's Pier and CSA. The other was right off Samsara cliffs. that was the better dive, saw two resident rays, one about 7-8ft. very docile animals. Went through "throne room" on one of these, other "coral garden" I think. smaller 15 foot passage

Overall I thought CSA was A+, I was impressed. Based soley on expereince in the USVI (caneel bay) (RIP). The diving at CSA was pretty industrial though, and pretty much only one dive a day. They brought us up once at 1.2k psi the other 1.8psi :)-0) which i thought was uncalled for. 30-35m max. they would have an "advanced" dive, and you could not go if you were only OW cert. They don't advertise or tell you that which I thought a little deciptive. Dive sites were consistently "browner" reefs than we saw in the USVI, vis 70 ft or so. Depths rarely over 60. DM was dutiful in pointing out unusual fish. Cheers HR

Last edited:
Hi, have read a good bit here past few days, first post; couple of questions. We are staying Samsura cliffs negril 4 days in july (family wedding, not our choice as to resort !) and 3 days couples swept away. The four days we are not in CSA, can anyone recomend a negril dive shop to dive out of ? While wife Kids & extended family are there those days, I'm the only diver. I emailed Samsura with no response, other than it's off season. I'm PADI open water cert but no dive expert (maybe 10 dives total, recently took refesher class), understand the diving there is marginal etc; just enjoy group dives. I have mask/fins/snorkel but otherwise rent.

Another question. @csa- my wife never got certified and did a couple of small dives (all at Caneel Bay st. john...RIP). Will she be able to do the CSA afternoon dive? has no equipment what so ever, think 2001 was her last dive).

any/all observations thoughts replies very much appreciated thanks!!!!!
Just a small point: It's Samsara not samsura. Samsara is a Sanscrit word that describes the endless cycle of birth, death, and rebirth in India's Hindu belief system. The name of this very senior resort goes back to the early 70s when Negril was a small counterculture town on the worldwide 'hippie highway'. It was a very cool and hip place to be once upon a time, long ago. I remember it fondly.

^ dove one day with "beth" from Quincy Ill. who is pretty much one of those old hippies I beleive, looked to be 60 or so. enjoyed her descriptions, said it was a lot of tents in the day; she did not have kind words for the "new" owners who I think have had it for a pretty long time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom