Nekton (Bad News)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They might also owe the yard on the refit and can't get it out...it would really be interesting to go over the real finances involved in a liveaboard to see what the cost is and what it would take to make it truly profitable.

I think that the owner of the yard and the owner of the Nekton are one and the same.
See here under Gulf County Shipbuilding http://www.shipbuildinghistory.com/today/directory.htm , the contact is also the Nekton owner.

Ouch!

I sent in a deposit for a trip a few days ago for the end of July. They want the rest of the money, but I'm afraid to send it. Any suggestions? I was thinking about forgetting about the deposit and see if they will allow me to pay for the rest of the trip right before it leaves. I doubt they will be full.

Hi There

I think considering the way they are behaving you should request to pay the whole lot on credit card to giv yourself some protection. If they decline this point out your fears and ask again, if they still decline what seems under the circunstances to be a very reasonable and understandable request I'd try to get the deposit back.

Obviously your call.

James

Until they have at least one vessel fully operational and taking customers to dive sites, I wouldn't be giving them a dime. IMO you should get your deposit back (if you're within the window) and simply wait and see what happens. If they put the Rorqual back in service, contact them a few weeks prior to when you want to go and book then....you're likely right that they won't be full.

I think that the owner of the yard and the owner of the Nekton are one and the same.
See here under Gulf County Shipbuilding Marine Log Directory of US Shipyards , the contact is also the Nekton owner.

I went looking today for something that I thought used to be on their website that explained the history of Nekton and how they came about building in the Port St. Joe shipyard. but I couldn't find it. I thought they might have been owned by the same person from what I remembered. but I wasn't 100% sure.

Ouch!

I sent in a deposit for a trip a few days ago for the end of July. They want the rest of the money, but I'm afraid to send it. Any suggestions? I was thinking about forgetting about the deposit and see if they will allow me to pay for the rest of the trip right before it leaves. I doubt they will be full.

First... I hope Nekton pulls it out and gets their boats back in the water in operational shape.

But if it was me, I'm real doubtful I'd send them more money. just my opinion.

If you do, do it on a credit card so that you have some recourse to get your money back. (and check the window of when you can do that, like if your bank requires you file a issue on a charge within 30 or 45 days of the charge for example).

I'm sure they are reading this thread and hope they take care of their customers who've paid money. If they don't, I'm sure they already know it'll spread over every scuba message board in no time....

Hi, Ed, I wouldn't suggest putting any more money into this. I'm sure there are other liveaboard operators out of Florida that are probably in a better financial situation than Nekton. Hope you can get your deposit back if the liveaboard doesn't happen. My husband and I are one of those who were on the most recent cancelled sailing. We're very slowly working through the process, but I think we've lost the majority of the $4000 that we paid. At this point it's looking like we may only get back the deposit that we put on the credit card (if that).

And the only way the trip that you're planning on would be full is if they actually make good on all those "promised" 2 future trips.

Ed.

I replied to your earlier message. I would call Aqua Cat and see if you can book with them. Its a real nice boat and well kept up. Alcohol and sodas are included. They go to some real nice dive sites and their shark dive is pretty good. The Washing Machine dive was a lot of fun as well.

Nekton at this point is buyer beware!!!! I would like to see a little stability before plunking some cash down.

Like Gdive, I am out a bunch of cash as well and my only recourse is to be able to redeem the promise of a future re-booking.

Don

We've done two trips with Blackbeard and two trips with Nekton who we're hoping can get back in the water someday.

I always wanted to do a cruise on the Juliet but it never quite worked out.
If you can get your deposit back, you might want to take a look at her:

Juliet Sailing and Scuba Diving

I've been thirty years in business and have seen this happen many times. It's like a boat taking on water, bilge pump not working with water close to the port holes.

The captain is trying to sell you next weeks cruise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom