Nekton (Bad News)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My husband and I are scheduled for the June 5 Cay Sal Bank trip. Does anyone know if that trip is still "on"? Are any of you traveling with us that week? We booked this nearly a year ago and it's paid for. This thread gives us a lot of concern about the viability of the trip. We're traveling from Las Vegas. Any advice you could give is appreciated!

Hi-
My husband and I are on your same trip. I spoke to someone at Nekton a week ago and they thought the boat would be back in service in time for the May 29 trip. Sounds like it's a crap shoot at this point.....keep your fingers crossed!

Wow, It's ridiculous how many people are being strung along by Nekton and that you have to hear about the status of your trip on scubaboard rather than a call from them. I sincerely hope you all get to take your trips and don't loose your money.

We had an appliance store with multiple locations that closed for good a few months ago. They were taking people's money up until the afternoon they closed their doors. When people showed up the next day or after to get their appliances they were shocked and really mad. The only possible recourse was disputing it with their credit card company. I heard towards the end they were telling people they would only accept cash and I'm sure those consumers haven't gotten a dime of it back. They were robbing Peter to pay Paul. They couldn't afford to pay the vendor to get the appliance you already paid for because they just paid a different vendor with your money to get the guy's stuff who came in before you.

When I tried to file an insurance claim last year, the owner of the boat lied and claimed that it was weather related when everyone knew that the boat was broken. Needless to say, the insurance wouldn't pay. I was told that there was no chance of refund. Can anyone say "fraud"?
Thanks--this is one of the reasons I don't buy trip insurance. Can you tell us who the insurer was?

My husband and I are scheduled for the June 5 Cay Sal Bank trip. Does anyone know if that trip is still "on"? Are any of you traveling with us that week? We booked this nearly a year ago and it's paid for. This thread gives us a lot of concern about the viability of the trip. We're traveling from Las Vegas. Any advice you could give is appreciated!

H20,

When my 5/15 trip was canceled the earliest we could rebook for was 6/12. Maybe all of us should call everyday and ask something like "boat work yet? no? How about a refund?" Just to annoy the crap out of them.

They are stil booking trips. Here are some emails and no I will not be sending them any money.

Hello,

My husband and I are considering our first liveaboard experience. Do you have any space available in June? I know it is short notice, but we just found out we have extra vacation time. If you have space,which weeks?

Thanks

Judy

Hello Judy,

Yes,
We do have availability in June !
I have the week of June 26-July 3rd available for $1995 plus taxes and fees of $212.80.
I have a $200 email discount on that week from our newsletter !
That makes the trip only $1795 plus fees !
If you are interested , please give me a call !
Thanks,David Ostroot
Nekton Diving Cruises 1-800-899-6753

That sounds very good! Do you think the boat will definitely be repaired by then? If so, then we would like to go. We are new divers so we might like to take a course or have someone come with us the first couple times if that's ok.

Thanks again
Judy

Hello Judy,
Yes, the boat will definitely be repaired before your trip !
OK, you need to call me to book the trip !
I only need a $400 deposit per person to book you on a mastercard or visa.
Thanks
David Ostroot
Nekton Diving Cruises 1-800-899-6753

Last edited:
Thanks--this is one of the reasons I don't buy trip insurance. Can you tell us who the insurer was?
I'd be curious too, as one of the primary reasons why I sometimes buy trip insurance is when weather might be an issue (hurricane season in the Caribbean, for instance). It was a good thing I did on our last Bonaire trip (during Hurricane season) since we ended up having a medical issue that DAN's master plan wouldn't have covered (a broken ankle suffered 30 seconds after emerging from the water - since it was no longer "in water", it wouldn't have been considered a diving accident according to DAN, regardless that she was still dripping wet and wearing her gear). Trip insurance repaid more than our out of pocket costs for her high-deductible insurance so we were pleased. Oh, yeah, it also covered our expenses for the one-day delay flying home due to Hurricane Ike.

Still, every policy will have some exceptions. We bought a policy this year to cover Wakatobi (flying out on Monday), which was rendered cheaper since we're using air miles for the flight and therefore based the insurance premium on the price of the non-refundable prepaid land portion. I'm covered for all sorts of things that could go wrong before the trip, not to mention the medical coverage for non-diving accidents while we're there, extra luggage coverage, etc., worth the few hundred bucks it cost me for the greater peace of mind. However, we're currently facing flying through Bangkok where the situation has been iffy for a couple months now. Were one faction to take over the airport and stop flights, as the Yellow Shirts did in 2008, the insurance exclusion for acts of war or civil disobedience would kick in and we're be screwed unless I could convince Wakatobi to apply our sizeable deposit to another trip date. So I'm basically keeping my fingers crossed that peace prevails at least until we return home.

Very sad to hear about all of this. I spent a lot of great years on the Pilot, met a lot of awesome divers, and learned a lot about the dive industry working on that boat. I sincerely hope things turn around and that the company does the right thing and either extends credits (for trips that actually go out) or refunds the money. When the Pilot was in her prime we offered great customer service, both in the office and onboard. I hope things improve.

However, we're currently facing flying through Bangkok where the situation has been iffy for a couple months now. Were one faction to take over the airport and stop flights, as the Yellow Shirts did in 2008, the insurance exclusion for acts of war or civil disobedience would kick in and we're be screwed unless I could convince Wakatobi to apply our sizeable deposit to another trip date. So I'm basically keeping my fingers crossed that peace prevails at least until we return home.
I just canceled a trip to Bangkok. It only cost me $150 cancellation fee at Cathay Pacific, which they would waive if I rescheduled. But my friends in Bangkok--who usually brush this sort of thing off--are not too optimistic about a return to normalcy any time soon.

Back
Top Bottom