Nekton Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fish finder

Reaction score
We are planning to book with this live aboard in the fall. We took Nekton Rorqual-Cay Sal Bank route last fall and thought Nekton was great, but what about the Pilot in Belize? How was the diving? Did they visit the Blue Hole?

Thanks!

I did the Belize Agressor last July. Diving at the Belize atols is first class. Best place to go is Lighthouse Reef, but that is not the only place. The Agressor does not go down to Glover's, but Nekton does sometimes. I am going on the Rorqual to Mona Island (Puerto Rico) in Feb. Looks intersting, kind of has an edge to it.

fish finder:
We are planning to book with this live aboard in the fall. We took Nekton Rorqual-Cay Sal Bank route last fall and thought Nekton was great, but what about the Pilot in Belize? How was the diving? Did they visit the Blue Hole?

The diving in Belize is shallow - certainly as compared to the Nekton trips in the Bahamas. Belize waters and reef structure are very similar to Roatan- so be prepared for the "small stuff". Take a magnifying glass, learn to sharpen your eye, go slowly! Buy a set of Paul Humann Reef Fish ID books. As with any Nekton cruise- they have a great Fish ID talk one night.

The liveaboard is really the only way to dive the Belize area. The resorts have very limited access to much variety. No, the Nekton does not do the Blue Hole. It draws too much water. I have done the BH twice, the first time out of curiousity, the second time because of my buddy's curiousity. It does not live up to it's hype. 130' trip to see stalactites. The best view I ever had of the BH was from TACA at 28,000 feet flying from Houston to Roatan.

The Pilot provides a world class experience. They will take you from the airport to a hotel downtown where the other liveaboards tie up. You can kick back there (bring a bathing suit for the pool) eat, drink, shop- then you'll be picked up after the ship has been "turned" or cleaned up after the last bunch departed.

While you're waiting- go check out the other liveaboards. Then, unlike most who report here and other forums- you'll have seen the differences. I'll bet you'll be glad you picked the Nekton.

Personally agree the Blue Hole is overated. I wouldn't choose a boat based only on whether they go there. We did the Sun Dancer II in Belize and enjoyed that boat alot. But I'd rather a Blue-Hole-free trip, as 2 good morning dives got replaced by it.

We did the Nekton trip in Belize a couple of years ago and I would definitely recommend it. The diving was great..mainly wall dives, saw mantas, turtles, sharks plus usual colorful reef life. Wonderful trip!

Depends what you like. We just got back from Turneffe Island Lodge - I doubt a live-aboard will ever get my rave reviews again. The Lodge is on a private island at the south end of Turneffe. Most of the week, we had our pick of sites 5 to 10 mins rides away.

We saw the Nekton when we went to the Blue Hole. Looked pretty beat-up from the outside, but I know that can be deceiving. From Turneffe, the Blue Hole's a 70-90 mins ride (+/- weather). However, rather than the 20' whalers that other resorts often use, you are on a 48' cruiser with plenty of room and shelter.

The Blue Hole is a "logbook" dive. It would be a shame to not do it, just for its uniqueness. We did another 2 dives at Lighthouse - very good too!

Anyhow, Turneffe Lodge is a cut above many places (with a price tag to prove it), but I've also not been anywhere better overall - and that includes 5-star non-dive resorts.

Just my $0.02

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom