• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Nekton boats may come back!!

Discussion in 'Liveaboards & Charter Boats' started by deepdiver4u, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Shasta_man

Shasta_man Contributor

If you do Bonaire or some place where you don't get off into the less accessible areas, then you add the hotels and inclusives to your competition. I'd imagine they could have lower costs than you.

Also, you can't just take that Nekton building anywhere. One of the reasons you never got to the good side of St Croix was it could be so rough. Swath or not, you're still bobbing. And if much of the customer base is the seasickness prone variety, they sure won't allow you to stay. So not possible to exploit the wild side of the island.

I'm wondering whether this thread is still talking to the OP...

If I wanted to get on the boat at a nice dock, I wouldn't have been able to do many of the Pacific liveaboards I've done. That single board inclined at 45 degrees was hairy to get on in Bali.

2. Damselfish

Damselfish ScubaBoard Sponsor ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I thought that too until I tried one...

3. smoffatt

smoffatt New

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    My family (4) took a liveaboard cruise on the Pilot 3 1/2 years ago in Belize and thought everything about it was wonderful, hope you are successful in your venture and we would support! SM

4. Damselfish

Damselfish ScubaBoard Sponsor ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I'm also of the "lugging gear around the island in the hot sun is no fun" persuasion and prefer boats or my hotel dock. And I do think it's best a liveaboard get you to sites that you probably won't get to otherwise. But sometimes this might be sites possible to get to from land, but the land-based logistics make it difficult and time-consuming to get in many of them. There are other advantages to a liveaboard as well.

I wouldn't do a ABC liveaboard that just did the same old sites. It could be good if it spent it's time in the right places. But it seems it would make more sense to base in Curacao or Aruba for supply and flight reasons.

It's actually usually cheap to get there from the East coast. And if you only dove the west side of the island, which is common, I can understand not being impressed. In any event, there's been the Cayman Aggressor there for long time which seems to be pretty popular. They're on what, like the Cayman Aggressor 14?

It's definitely a good thing if the liveaboard op arranges things so arrival and departure days are as nice as possible for the passengers, but there's many ways to accomplish it. I don't think the dock is the key thing. Liveaboards sometimes leave from more commercial docks than your typical resort dayboat and it might not always be money - might be space available or draft or ease of supplying the boat. While there may not be a nice hotel and bar at the end of the dock, there are usually interesting port type activities to watch instead. So as long as I don't feel unsafe I'm happy, and I've never felt unsafe. (In some ways you might consider the commercial docks safer, as access is often more restricted.)

5. Linda Hollars

Linda Hollars New

# of Dives:
    Personally, I think rising fuel prices and the downturn of the economy put the crunch on Mr. Dixon as it has many small business owners all across the the country. I would love to see the Rorqual back in service. We have been on it several times and have made many happy memories. Best of luck in this endeavor and Joe and & will definately be back.

6. Linda Hollars

Linda Hollars New

# of Dives:
    We did the 10 day trip to Cay Lobos and having those few extra days of diving were great. I agree with a more professional crew. We could tell a TREMENDOUS difference in crew behavior/attitude after Nelson left. Unless YOU plan on running the boat 24/7, try to get Nelson back. He runs a tight ship.

7. Linda Hollars

Linda Hollars New

# of Dives:
    I would be highly pissed if I had made plans to go diving, arranged (most-times) non-refundable air-fare and had my heart/mind set on a week of relaxation, only to find out at the last minute it was cancelled due to low occupancy. JD sent the boats out--we went to Cay Lobos (10 day trip) with on 8 passengers. He had to have lost money on that trip. It was a good trip. Would have better if Nelson was captain.........................

8. vladimir

vladimir Contributor

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    This is one reason that I don't deal with middlemen, like travel agents, if I can avoid it. As the DIR guys say, it's another failure point, and they offer a service most people don't need. I book my diving with the dive operator, hotels with the hotelier, and flights directly with the airline.

9. John_B

John_B Grasshopper

Two words: trip insurance.

10. vladimir

vladimir Contributor

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    If your finances are so tight that your tour operator's failure is going to strand you, then trip insurance might be a good idea. Skipping the trip would be a better one though.