Nekton boats may come back!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even with a full boat the Nekton boats were not crowded when diving. This is because they did not require everyone on the boat to go in the water at the same time. I would much rather dive like this, than 18-20 divers in the water at once.

I know that our group would definately dive again on the Rorqual if it was back in the water after having been up fitted. I agree that the Medio Reef trip would be a good option.

If you could make Bahama itineraries that left from the states (Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Port of PB) I think it would be great. Those ports are so much cheaper and easier to fly to.

I'm always wary of a foreign flagged vessel. The ones I've worked on went foreign flagged to get out of all the Coast Guard inspections.

Being new to diving I didn't do any long term liveaboards (just 2 day 1 night in Thailand).

What are you looking at in terms of price per person for how long?

If you could make Bahama itineraries that left from the states (Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Port of PB) I think it would be great. Those ports are so much cheaper and easier to fly to.

I absolutely agree with the quote above. One tough thing with diving is the flying to other destinations, but doing domestic flights within the US is must easier and cheaper. I'd leave from Miami/Ft. Lauderdale and go to Bimini, Freeport, Nassau, Andros Island, etc.

Consider having specialty charters specific for photographers one week, and maybe wreck diving on a different charter....how about free diving being a significant part of a charter as an option (should patrons want to participate)..........keep things interesting, it's what other successful companies seem to do.....themed weeks always interest me.

I am still crunching numbers to see what the bare bottom costs would be.

I do not think the vessel could run with the prices of the past. The lack of revenue was definitely a huge player in Nekton's downfall.

I am looking at the costs on competitor boats, fuel and food costs, and all of the other little things that cost so much money.

As far as the foreign flag goes, this is not done to escape the USCG. It is done to escape the huge registration and insurance requirements. Flagging a vessel in the states is horribly expensive and also played a part in Nekton's downfall.

Most countries Are part of IMO which requires all of the same safety equipment and manning as the states. This means that your safety is not being compromised by the vessel flying a foreign flag.

This idea is still in the works. I hope to make it work out, but again the start up costs are going to be huge. I know what the condition of the boat is now and how I want it to be before it sails.

Keep up the questions and comments. They all help!!!

I am still crunching numbers to see what the bare bottom costs would be.

I do not think the vessel could run with the prices of the past. The lack of revenue was definitely a huge player in Nekton's downfall.

I am looking at the costs on competitor boats, fuel and food costs, and all of the other little things that cost so much money.

As far as the foreign flag goes, this is not done to escape the USCG. It is done to escape the huge registration and insurance requirements. Flagging a vessel in the states is horribly expensive and also played a part in Nekton's downfall.

Most countries Are part of IMO which requires all of the same safety equipment and manning as the states. This means that your safety is not being compromised by the vessel flying a foreign flag.

This idea is still in the works. I hope to make it work out, but again the start up costs are going to be huge. I know what the condition of the boat is now and how I want it to be before it sails.

Keep up the questions and comments. They all help!!!

Since you're all ears.....

How about having the Hooters waitresses be stewards and divemasters???? You'd be the first in the industry to have such a unique boat! You never know, it might just be what you need to get your business off the ground!

Captain John?

My family and I dove the Pilot a few times and really enjoyed it. We left Nekton (back before the downhill slide) because we left the Caribbean. Since we live in SoCal, it's just as expensive to go the the South Pacific. I don't think we'd go back to the Nekton in those waters. Sorry.

I'd also vote for sailing from a Florida port and focusing on the southern Bahamas. I did the Medio Reef / Cay Sal itinerary in 2009. Nekton related issues aside, those were great areas for diving. With a refurbished vessel, I believe you'd do quite well, especially since your competition is minimal in that area. Bimini, Exumas and Nassau are already well covered by established operations.

Also, as others have pointed out, being able to sail directly from a US port is convenient and economical for those of us east of the Rockies -- allowing you to charge a higher price than the previous owners. Just don't get too greedy. Good luck!

Loved the Nekton boats, been on both - Pilot in Belize twice and Rorqual in Cayman.

Have been a fan of the design of the boat, the dive platform and the room on board to spread out on the upper deck. Never had a crowded dive other than day 1 of the first trip. I learned to wait 15 minutes and you could gear up and dive on your own.

However I am not sure if I would go back either.

Belize was an easy trip to make from the west coast, now it requires an overnight stop somewhere. Cayman also requires an overnight stay somewhere but is at least somewhat direct, any other destination in the Caribbean is just too difficult/expensive to get to from here, and the diving while nice just isn't as good as the South Pacific.

If I am going to overnight somewhere it may as well be Hong Kong or Singapore and I can get to some spectacular diving for about the same or a small amount more in overall cost in terms of time and money.

I am not sure you could compete with that, but then the Pacific West Coast is probably not your target market.

Outside of that the boat is a good dive platform and you may be able to make a go of it. In my view you don't need to attempt to attract divers with price and trying to do it was a significant mistake made by the previous owner. You need to attract them with value and something unique. I am already giving up a week's earnings, paying for a flight to get there, a hotel at each end (possibly) saving a few hundred dollars is not what I am focusing on - it is the quality of the diving and the overall experience that interests me. What can you offer that is unique or special that will make me choose this boat over all of the others out there. The fact that it doesn't get me seasick isn't going to be enough. You need something else, something that ignites my imagination - fullfills some fantasy - revisits my youth - whatever. Providing a bus to go diving isn't going to be a successful business model - look at Aggressor, they provide a "yacht" to go diving, Nekton was providing a bus.

For me to come back there would have to be something different that I can't get somewhere else. I am not sure exactly what that is but if you figure it out I would take another Nekton trip - or more than one. If you can't and you are offering just another Caribbean dive trip I probably won't be back. There are too many other places in the world to visit.

A bit disorganised, but my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom