Nekton boats may come back!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This piqued my curiosity. We were on the Rorqual December 12-19, 2009, based on old FB posts. I thought there was one trip after my group, on this trip. But I could be confused!

Maybe I'm wrong and Rorqual was stil running, but I was definitely on the next to or second to the last Pilot trip and it was August 2009, there was a rebreather trip after mine that some friends went on, and then they went kerplunk...which I know because one of my co-workers at Cane Bay Scuba later on (2011) was an employee on the Pilot and lost his job 2009. Never got paid, either.

We were expecting the Pilot, I believe, and ended up with the Rorqual- there was definitely some confusion there at the end regarding which boat. I heard about people working the boats not getting paid, that really sucked.

I forget if it was the trip right before mine or right after...I "think" the one before (I'm too tired to go back into my archives) but it was CANCELLED. The boat was really tired and we were all glad to get back to the dock. As an aside, I ended up with the ROOMMATE FROM HELL that was randomly assigned...UGH next time I do a liveaboard, I'll pay the single supplement!!! She said she was a doctor but she was as stupid as stupid gets!

Wow. I bet they were expensive as hell to run.
Not that bad, they were underpowered as the dickens and the crew of 12 mostly wasn't paid.

I was on the last trip for the Pilot, as a guest, which was 13 Sept. 2009. The Rorqual was already dry docked due to engine issues. The owner had tried to get me to go work on her engines and get her back. IIRC she was in Puerto Rico when one of the mains went down. I worked for Nekton for a while & installed their Nitrox systems. Lack of money was always their biggest issue however the vessels had plenty of others. I would be surprised if anyone put the money into getting them back out again.

They must have pulled the Rorqual out of dry dock for the last few trips after Sept 2009... We were on Rorqual 12-19 Dec 2009, and now that I've gone back and looked, April 10-17 2010. I did not think the last run was in December, so I went back and figured out we want to Mona Islands in Dec and Mayaguana in April. I had friends on board the week after in April, from what I gather we/they were lucky bc people who booked later just lost their money.

Last edited:
I love Nekton discussions because they took me for $9000. I was one of the sadly uninformed customers who was due to go out on the Pilot about 3 or 4 weeks AFTER it went kerplunk. Not only didn't the "Company" notify us, people flew in and waited on that block in Ft. Lauderdale where they used to pick folks up. We had planned that trip for a year and had two couples flying in from out of town. Nekton is why I first "spoke" on scubaboard after silently reading for a year. I used to look at the boat deterioration cams from time to time, but long ago stopped thinking about it much, except when on other liveaboards and discussing liveaboards. It was our very own WOOKIE who saved our week with much helpful advice!

I was part of the bankruptcy proceedings. As far as I know the only folks who were paid were the actual owners who created companies that Nekton was primarily in debt to. I don't believe their employees were ever paid (met a few who said they weren't) or all the customers whose money was taken in bad faith.

Makes you kind of wonder what they are doing to others now... Hmnnn?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom