Nekton Rorqual Mini-trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stspang

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Just returned from a one week cruise aboard the Nekton Rorqual to Mayaguana. First the good: diving, meals, crew and fellow passengers. The bad: The boat is in terrible shape. Lost fresh water for a day. Then two days later lost electric completely for 12 hours. Only the little Honda Backup generator for the controls and nav was working. Rusty and musty best describe this boat. My recommendation: Stay away until the boat is completely renovated.

Thanks for the quick update. I'm going in 3 weeks. Too late to back out. Hope they get stuff fixed during the repositioning. Was on there 3 years ago and it needed some work then. Was on Aqua Cat last year. The Cat was top notch.

Got to make sure I keep the bar low for Rorqual. Going for the dive sites this time.

I'll let you know what condition boat is in when I get back on May 22nd. I check the position report today and it was at Cay Lobos heading back to Ft. Lauderdale.

Thanks for the quick update. I'm going in 3 weeks. Too late to back out. Hope they get stuff fixed during the repositioning. Was on there 3 years ago and it needed some work then. Was on Aqua Cat last year. The Cat was top notch.

Got to make sure I keep the bar low for Rorqual. Going for the dive sites this time.

Yeah, The Aquacat is really the "cat's" ass:D, A really nice boat. Since I have decided to stop diving with Nekton, I have started booking Aquacat and Aggressor for most of my liveaboard trips (like a breath of fresh air with regards to the quality of the ships and level of service).

Last edited:
Dave,

Guess we won't be diving together unless you can get on the Caribbean Explorer II. I was able to book a berth today right after I talked with the Nekton office. Hopefully they called you this morning with the bad news.

Nekton is out of service to install at one new generator and repair another one. Rorqual will be out until at least until the 22nd cruise.

Don,

I called and left a message this morning, then they called my travel agent back. Today they told us we coudln't re-book for a trip until after 6/12. We'll be re-booking for later this summer and booking the free cruise soon. Hope you have fun on the CEII.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom