nerves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Talking medication in order to be able to dive is a mistake. I'm sure you remember the spiel from your openwater course that if medication happens to wear-off during the dive you're going to be in big big trouble. The damage you can do to your ears may be irreversible, further the barotrauma may even lead to a tradgedy in which a funeral may be required.

I'll be honest with you, I'm one of the loudest voices I know of when it comes to spreading the news about the wonders of the aquatic realm, but is it worth permanent injury?

If there is a surgical solution, you should definitely do your research and work toward that goal. Taking decongestants in the meantime.... bad news! 8-(

In general, your comments are accurate. The old prohibition specifically referred to he use of decongestant nasal sprays and/or short acting pseudoephedrine and other decongestant meds. These can and do cause rebound congestion and reverse squeeze on ascent.
Navy divers, Air force fighter pilots,BSAC,commercial divers, FAA and others all approve of Nasal cortisone sprays to control allergies and the problems they cause with equalization.
The experts at the diving medicine conferences I've attended agree there is no contraindication to using these and diving. Whetehr these are the right medicines for you is up to you and your doctor, but there's no contraindication to using them and diving.
Dive safe (and painlessly)

John

Mairo,
It's not that I can't equalize on my own without medication, it just takes longer. And once I get equalized every thing is fine, no problems. Just hate being the last one down. Maybe I should jump in first.
Thanks for your concern.
I bet the "King" is rolling on the floor thinking my nose looks like Rocky Marciano's. But no, it's not that noticible.
Thanks again.

Jumping in first would certainly be a better choice than taking unnecessary risks. Ultimately, you are an adult that will make your own choices. Just take the comments and advice you read on these posts with a grain of salt.

I can recall when I was associated with a hyperbaric medicine unit that some people would require fifteen minutes to get to 33 feet!! That is pretty much the tail-end of the curve, but be assured that your problem is by no means that bad.

Some people also can not do well going down head first.

Back
Top Bottom