• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Nervous and Conflicted about my first actual dive.

Discussion in 'Basic Scuba Discussions' started by BlueTuna, Dec 2, 2019.

1. wetb4igetinthewater

wetb4igetinthewater Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I get that. Just not a fan of dumbing down information to the lowest common denominator. Students will typically meet the bar that an instructor sets. Set it low, they meet it. Set it high, they will as well.

2. lowwall

lowwall Manta Ray

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I believe the author would agree with your statement, see for example: Four Keys to Teaching Real Buoyancy Control - Cave Diver Harry or Put the checklist down, focus on real ability - Cave Diver Harry . But it's not relevant to the article I linked. The author never claimed you could boil all of diving down to 6 rules. In fact, he specifically states the opposite:

Lorenzoid likes this.
  3. purbeast

purbeast Barracuda

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    I was certified in March with OW and AOW right after, and since then I have 6 "real" dives. I still get anxious/nervous before I dive. I think it's pretty normal at this stage. However as soon as I am on the boat and about to get in, it pretty much goes away. This past trip I did my first real dives deeper than 30ft, down to 60ft. I too just have a mental block about depth, even though I've been down to 100ft with AOW. In the 60ft dive I quickly felt super comfortable when I looked at my computer and saw we were at 65ft, and it felt exactly the same as being at 30ft.

The ear thing I wouldn't worry too much about. As others have said, just take your time. I constantly equalize, even when I don't feel the need to. It's almost out of habit at this point.

Also on my previous dives, we did a 2 tank dive. It was me, a guide, and one other lady. The lady has 20+ years of experience diving. On our first dive everything went smooth. On the second dive, she had issues equalizing at about 20ft or so. It took her a good 5 minutes to figure it out but she eventually got it.

My point about that is even experienced divers can have problems, and it can be one offs, so I think you will be able to work through it just fine.

Oh and about the mucus, pretty much every time I come up from a dive it's gross in my nose and I have snot dripping out lol. I thought that was normal.

4. Jcp2

Jcp2 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

I think the only divers without post dive snot are Mark Nelson and James Bond.

5. lowwall

lowwall Manta Ray

Towards the end of you dive is a good time to practice a mask remove and replace. While it's off, you can donate your stored snot to Neptune :D

6. TMHeimer

TMHeimer Divemaster

And me. Who's Mark Nelson?

JamesBon92007 and Kmart921 like this.
  7. Jcp2

Jcp2 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

He’s Mike’s cousin and stunt double.

8. Paul McCartney

Paul McCartney Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Glad things are working out.
    If that phone still works let me know which model it is because I will be rushing out to get one :wink:

eleniel likes this.
  9. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Nassau Grouper

Let's be careful here about bashing the instructor. I know him and can attest the exact opposite in my experience.

10. wetb4igetinthewater

wetb4igetinthewater Instructor, Scuba

what bashing?

BlueTrin and chillyinCanada like this.