Neutrally buoyant Piranha?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jodylynn007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My Piranha P1 is slightly negative and as a photographer, I need to have it slightly positive for shoving out of the way behind me during photo time.

I have installed a bolt snap on the nose and I haven't removed the little nose saltwater plate yet (will try removing the small piece before next dive). I live in Vancouver, BC Canada, so not far from Mulkiteo, WA where the DPV is manufactured... so water conditions should be similar.

However, I note on the website about installing a bolt snap that it says as follows:

"If you intend to leave the bolt snap installed permanently you can ensure your neutral buoyancy stays correct by removing the weight of the bolt snap from the lead shot in the nose. To retain the bolt snap and stop if flapping around when not in use, connect it back on itself as shown in the photo."

It refers to being able to remove weight from a lead shot in the nose. I know that other DPVs have a lead shot in the nose, but I don't think my Piranha does? So my question is, if removing the small saltwater plate isn't enough to make it slightly more positive, how can I do this?

Appreciate any feedback.

the saltwater plate will likely do the opposite and cause it to become more positive than it needs to be.... Bolt snaps don't weigh very much unless they're the really big cold water ones. If that's the case, you can get creative on how to add some lead back with some fishing weights on the line connecting the bolt snap.

It is in fact a really big cold water one (largest I could find for use with my thick gloves) but it's so negative right now that it will fully sink.

Thanks for the tip, I will pull out the plate and if it needs more weight then, I will look into some fishing weights. Thought about affixing something inside the nose also, could probably duct tape them in there also perhaps?

Hey Jody,

It's one of the small downfalls about the brilliant Piranha line, very little in regards to custom weighting.

Give Will a shout at dive-x and they might have a solution for you (smaller 'salt' plate, or the camera extension), or just pool noodle the bejesus out of it :p

I've got a bunch of loose lead pellets and maybe a spare pouch if you want to go that route, but there isn't much room in the nose cap iirc.

BRad

Thanks Brad, will play with the weighting of it this Sat if I'm not too hung over from my work party on Friday night. Start with what I have (take out salt plate) - seems so small, how could it weigh more than my giant steel bolt snap? Maybe that'll be enough to make it a tad (but not too much) more buoyant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Jody,

It's quite simple to add a bolt snap to the nose of your Piranha and keep it perfectly neutrally buoyant. Follow the instructions below. Should take about 10 minutes.

Here's what you'll need:

-Scale in grams
-3mm Allen key
-bolt snap you want to use
-string you will tie the bolt snap to the nose with

1. Plug in the scale, make sure it is measuring in grams
2. Remove the salt water plate, but be sure to reinstall the thumb screw that holds the plate in place
3. Using your 3mm Allen Key, remove the screws holding the plastic/aluminum plate on the inside of the nose and take the plastic/aluminum plate off, exposing the lead shot.
4. Ensuring the bolt snap and rope are tied to your nose, place the following items on the scale:
a. Nose
b. bolt snap and rope installed on nose
c. saltwater THUMB SCREW, not saltwater weight
d. plastic/aluminum lead cover plate
d. screws to hold plate in place
5. You want your nose with the installed bolt snap and all the listed parts to weigh 819g. Remove lead shot until you reach exactly 819g.
6. Reinstall the plate and screws.
7. Reinstall the saltwater plate if diving in saltwater.
8. GO DIVING.

I have my Genesis ever-so-slightly positive, with the nose being heavier. So, I can push it behind me and clip it off to my right chest D-ring and it floats up and behind me, bothering me not. In fact, I have no idea it's even there, unless I swim forward and feel it tug on me gently.

Hey Jody, It's one of the small downfalls about the brilliant Piranha line, very little in regards to custom weighting.

BRad

I hear by retract the comment about the weighting. I didn't realize it was adjustable beyond the saltwater plate.

BRad

I have my Genesis ever-so-slightly positive, with the nose being heavier. So, I can push it behind me and clip it off to my right chest D-ring and it floats up and behind me, bothering me not. In fact, I have no idea it's even there, unless I swim forward and feel it tug on me gently.

That's exactly how I want mine to be.

Anyhow, I followed KaizerWilhelm's instructions and if the weather is half decent tomorrow I will take it for a spin. I removed quite a bit of lead shot from the nose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom