Never stern anchor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
Four fine men were involved in this accident, three died as a result. My only purpose here is to post this accident link which demonstrates the danger of anchoring from the stern. Per the document, rough seas, operator inexperience and faulty anchoring (from the stern) caused the stern to go down and the boat to capsize. This is from the official document, not speculation.

It seems from what I have read is that they had a stuck anchor, swung the boat around to tie off to the stern cleat to use forward throttle to pull the stuck anchor, the stern was dragged down by the thrust of the engine, downward pull of the anchor and high seas broached the stern causing the boat to roll over.

I saw a boat in a tidal current, stern anchored, strong current, two men in the back, boat went down and rolled. Never anchor from a stern cleat in but the most benign conditions, don't try to motor a anchor free by tying to a stern cleat. Leave the anchor or use several other effective methods for freeing an anchor.

No expert here, there are lessons to be learned from this accident in hopes it will not happen again, one is not to tie off to the stern cleat to an anchor. Very sad for all involved.

http://www.tampabay.com/specials/2009/PDFs/boaterfolo032809/Investigation_Report.pdf

N

Here in the Philippines I think that every boat anchors from the stern as the boat design allows for that!
If an anchor gets stuck as they do at times the boat is usually positioned directly over the stuck anchor and the crew lifts it free! If it still does not move, it will probably have a buoy attached and the line dumped over the side until better weather allows recovery but if there are diver on board they will usually go down and release the stuck anchor air permitting!

This is a very sad storie with a very sad ending but maybe more or better training would have helped to prevent the problem as it says in the report that they had lost an anchor just the week before in a similar situation! Why anchor in rough seas instead of drifting along while fishing, even better, if the weather is bad, do not go out fishing!

I absolutely agree. I've used the boat to do an opposite pull to free a
stuck anchor on a number of occasions, but left it tied off forward. The
bow is more buoyant and has more freeboard and has no big heavy motor.

Although I saw the original report, I am glad you reposted it. Those of us who are new to power boats are happy for these lessons from those of you with more experience.

I am buying a PLB, I have borrowed one a few times but I hate to borrow expensive items. I guess I never had attached the importance to one, and their being relatively new in the market, but I am getting one now before I venture out of site of land or sparsely traversed places. I am upgrading my life jackets also. I have a good signal kit etc. but within the limits of my small boat I am doing some life saving and emergency equipment upgrades and this sad story only emphasizes the importance of items we hope never to need.

Well, soon it will be warm again, everyone have a safe and happy boating year.

N

Plb???

Personal Locator Beacon, like an ELT (Emergency Locator Transmitter). It is a radio beacon that transmits your positon once activated. The signal is picked up by satellites and other methods so that rescue persons can find your position. Most now have a GPS inside them as well so that not only do they position by signal as a homing beacon or triangulation but will provide the coordinates. More or less that is how it works, Chuck probably can give a better explanation, he is into all that radio stuff I think. I just know I want one. I also know I hope I never need to use it.

Personal Locator Beacons (PLBs) Approved in U.S. - EQUIPPED TO SURVIVE (tm)

N

Anchor and line for a 21 foot boat $150, sacrifice it to the sea rather than your life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom