New 10Bar Housing for E-PL1 - interchangeable Ports!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It seems to be not about cheap kit zoom lens but about the camera. Oly 14-42 fitted on Panasonic GF1 delivers very fast focus. Speed is about the same as with 20mm lens. So since e-pl1 is more suitable for UW shooting due to simple button controls one could improve focusing speed by switching 14-42 kit lens to Panasonic 14-45 if it fits the port.

Ok I finally got the 10bar e-pl1 housing with a port for panasonic 20mm. Well, after my Canon A720 I certanly can not call this housing compact though it fits the camera pretty tightly. Looks like it is quite negative underwater maybe later I will add some float arms...
Build quality it quite good. There are dedicated buttons for every function so it is no problem to operate camerea at least with bear hands. The only thing that annoyed me so far was a shutter release lever - you can not feel the resistance point and instead of focusing you make the shot. Guess will just have to get used to it.
I made few shots in the buth tub with and without Unon UCL 165 m67 wet lens. Without it you are able to focus about 15 cm (6 inch) from the port. With the lens on the distance becomes at least 2 times shorter.
Here are 2 samples I shot with A mode F4 . The water is little yellow due to recent repair of the water pipe. First one with close up lens. Focused pretty much as close a I could
Would be glad to answer any questions:D

Attachments

• P7120185.JPG
    P7120185.JPG
    266.3 KB · Views: 84
  • P7120187.JPG
    P7120187.JPG
    232.3 KB · Views: 85
I am happy to read some experiences with the EPL1 underwater. I love it for overwater use but so far I cannot say the same underwater.

I have used the Olympus housing which seems to limit me to a few lenses (not to mention that here in Europe there are no accessories yet ...!)
The 14-42mm seemed fine for semi macro use so I am waiting to see availability for the 67mm thread port addon. I was excited to try the 9-18mm but it turned out to show vignetting and distortions on the edges of the frame from the flat port (expected but I was hoping it would be less severe).

More disappointing news was that the TTL with the 110A does not quite work and it does not allow to go over 1/160 sync time (but Olympus UFL2 supposedly works up to 1/2000).

Tried also movie mode with the 9mm but found 2 problems: focusing keeps on hunting and generally focuses close rather than far (and in continuous auto tracking it just keeps losing track), and custom white balance cannot be set... so still not sure if this fantastic lens is of any use underwater in the olympus housing (wide angle pictures are poor, movie mode is poor).

Starting to think the Olympus housing is nicely priced but basically useless. 10bar better? Any ability to swap the port on the Olympus housing? and why the camera cannot white balance in movie mode like it does in picture modes?

AGH!

At 9 mm this lens has great death of field for the movie mode. I focus on a subject like my fin or hand using AF then set the focus to manual to lock in the distance to the intended subject and record in manual. Because of the great DOF must subjects will remain in focus. This is how most video is taken even with the most expensive DSLR's.

The new Zen WA-100 port works very well with the 9 to 18 zoom and reefphoto has all the items you seek in stock.

I have been using the 14 to 42 zoom at the 42 mm end with the Inon 67 mm close-up lens and have had great results.

Phil Rudin

Last edited:
How is the Zen WA-100 port attached? Or, more to the point, how is the flat port unattached! Is this one where the housing needs to be sent in and the WA port "permanently" attached or will it be switchable between the WA port and the flat port?

Both ports are bayonet mounted and have duel o-ring seals. Inside the housing is a small locking device that secures the port in place. A screw is removed and the port can then be removed and replaced, the locking device is screwed back in place to secure the new port. It is a very simple system and requires very little time for a port change.

Phil Rudin

Phil,

Got a couple of questions I hope you can help with.

1. Do you know if the Panasonic 45mm macro would fit into the standard Olympus flat port?

2. Also, is there a zoom gear for the 9-18mm when using the ZEN 100mm dome?

Thanks!

Hello Anferney,

#1 Yes the Pany 45 macro fits into the standard flat port for the Olympus Pen housing, the problem is that fully extended it sits to far back from the dome glass. When I tested the 45 lens it attempted to focus on the port glass end not the subject outside the glass. As a result it would hunt back and forth making Auto focus very slow. This was such a problem that the camera battery died after less than 100 shots. With the 14 to 42 "kit" zoom I have shot over 300 images with killing the battery using the pop-up flash set in manual to 1/64th power. The Pany 45 macro is a fine lens but it will need smaller/shorter port to work well.

#2 The standard Olympus 9 to 18 zoom gear will work fine with the ZEN 100 dome port, ReefPhoto has both items in stock.

Phil Rudin

Last edited:
great info thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....I was thinking about the 45mm as well but pricing and the focusing have kept me away. I will wait for more upcoming ports or Olympus own macro lens that fits. Meanwhile the Zen port and the inon or olympus macro attachments seem to make it a good possibility for underwater quality shooting. However I still have not figure out the custom white balance in movie mode... :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom