New 32lb bungee wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anthony A.

Contributor
Reaction score
Noticed the new bungee version of the 32lb wing on the Edge website. Is it the exact same as the regular version but with the sewn bungee tabs and cord?

I am looking for a new 32lb wing and originally decided on the regular version, but this new bungee version would allow me to use the sewn in straps to bungee a couple spots of the wing to the holes of my backplate to eliminate any taco or flapping of the wing when not inflated at depth. Any thoughts on doing this?

Noticed the new bungee version of the 32lb wing on the Edge website. Is it the exact same as the regular version but with the sewn bungee tabs and cord?

Yes, it has the sewn tabs. Cord is extra but your dealer may include it.

I am looking for a new 32lb wing and originally decided on the regular version, but this new bungee version would allow me to use the sewn in straps to bungee a couple spots of the wing to the holes of my backplate to eliminate any taco or flapping of the wing when not inflated at depth. Any thoughts on doing this?
Bungee laces front of wing to back, not to plate. It does make it more compact when deflated but opinions on this vary. Some say it causes more drag and guarantees your death. Others think it looks cool.
I installed it on mine to see if anyone would comment but nothing so far. I'm going to remove the bungee eventually. At the very least it isn't necessary.
:popcorn:

Thanks for the details. I have read the various threads on bungee wings :)

My idea is not to actually bungee the bladder to itself (like oms wings) but rather simply use 2 of the side straps (inside of the wing) to wrap a 2 inch bungee to the backplate side holes. This is so it will help with taco effect as ot will keep the side of the wing tight to the backplate edge. Does that make sense?

Here is a pic of my idea. Basically, the wing edge will be bungeed to the bp edge.

Attachments

• sketch-1483473451833.png
    sketch-1483473451833.png
    596.8 KB · Views: 241
I understand what you are saying and what you want to do but I don't understand why. I think it is a bad idea and looks like nothing more than 4 places for something to get snagged.
Perhaps someone with more experience will chime in but I think this is a worse option than the taco effect that would actually much more streamlined.

Using bungees on your wing will cause your rig to snag and blow up in a fiery explosion of death. It's science. Someone on Scubaboard told me.

I use both the bungeed wing and one of the non-bungeed. The one with it is on my HOG comfort harness. The other on my steel plate. There is really no need to tie down the wing to the plate. The taco effect with the singles wing is inherent to most of them this size and does not present the same problems that using a wing meant for doubles can cause. There is a tendency at times to get too concerned with streamlining and reducing drag. Just how much drag is a diver encountering most of the time? How much is it really slowing them down? Not much if at all. When a singles wing does taco a bit all it does is wrap around the tank at the same level as the tank. No real extra drag is created that a diver will notice.
BTW when I sell the wing the cord is included at no extra cost.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom