New 4/3 Olympus DSLR - "E-300 EVOLT"... with UW housing!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK....what does 4/3 mean? I saw this earlier, looks like a snazzy toy! The width on that lense is amazing!

My shorthand for the "Four Thirds" system Olympus is trying to set as a standard for DSLRs. It refers to the dimensions ratio of the CCD I believe.

Ah...makes sense.

Nikon and Canon need some competition! But I am less concerned with CCD size than I am with optics and dynamic range.

even with the Canon 1D and the high end Nikon D1X digitals still cant deal with the sun in the background like film can. I have tried many times to shoot imiges like the adstract in my gallery as well as others with the sun in the background. the quality is totally unacceptable! So for now I still hold on to my F5 and Nikonos for times when I need such shots.

now waiting for the Fuji S3 test results.

Dee:
OK....what does 4/3 mean? I saw this earlier, looks like a snazzy toy! The width on that lense is amazing!
Four Thirds is Olympus' attempt to create a standard format so photographers can combine bodies and lenses from different manufacturers for a wider choice, much like the simpler days of the 35mm film format.

The Four Thirds System is so called because it uses a 4/3-type image sensor (current prosumer cameras use a 2/3 or 1/1.8 type image sensors e.g. C5050 uses a 1/1.8 sensor).

One good thing about the E-series cameras from Olympus is that it is designed and built from scratch, unlike some of the other manufacturers who are simply adapting the exsiting 35mm film bodies and lenses.

If they get the housing right it'll be an awesome initiative of getting a DSLR underwater at an affordable price, like they did with the PT-010.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom