New 7/8-14 UNF Tank Valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kensei

Master Fin Sharpener
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The only new 7/8 inch tank valve I can find is this XS Scuba valve that is air only. I'd like one that is O2 compatible up to 40%, pre-mixed. Are there others being made? I realize this is a very old standard now so I assume demand is quite small.

Any valve can do pre-mix up to 40%.

Thermo is the only one making new valves.

XS Valve, 300 Bar DIN outlet, 7/8 UNF inlet threads
The manufacturer is very specific that “Air Only” means exactly that, and that it cannot be cleaned for higher than 21%. At least be aware, if you consider following advice that contradicts/ignores the manufacturer.

The manufacturer is very specific that “Air Only” means exactly that, and that it cannot be cleaned for higher than 21%. At least be aware, if you consider following advice that contradicts/ignores the manufacturer.
Good thing no cleaning is needed for up to 40% premix.

O2 clean for 100% oxygen is different.

I watch online and pick up the used valves as they become available.

The only new 7/8 inch tank valve I can find is this XS Scuba valve that is air only. I'd like one that is O2 compatible up to 40%, pre-mixed. Are there others being made? I realize this is a very old standard now so I assume demand is quite small.

There's a manifold also available from XS Scuba. I don't know if it has the 40% sticker. Probably.

It has been the industry's position for a long time that scuba valves are inherently not suitable for oxygen service. The stickers reflect a change in labeling, not a change in the valve.

The only exception I'm aware of are the DGX Premium O2 valves, which have been on the market for less than a year (and are not available in 7/8").

do you not have valves or are you just looking for a "modern" valve?

do you not have valves or are you just looking for a "modern" valve?

I have two tanks with 7/8 inch Thermo 5282-5250 valves. Both are 3500 PSI service pressure. According to the Thermo catalogue, they are both "EAN Ready". I was just wondering if there were any new 7/8 inch, EAN Ready valves being sold today.

I have two tanks with 7/8 inch Thermo 5282-5250 valves. Both are 3500 PSI service pressure. According to the Thermo catalogue, they are both "EAN Ready". I was just wondering if there were any new 7/8 inch, EAN Ready valves being sold today.
I am assuming you are referencing this catalog from 2004.
https://www.scubaengineer.com/pictures/valves/thermo/thermo_catalogue.pdf

I agree that the current 7/8"-14 XS Scuba DIN valve looks like it may be identical to the older Thermo version but with a different hand wheel. It would require an explanation from XS to understand why one is Air Only and the other was EAN Ready 15 years ago.
I can only think of 3 possibilities: there may be an actual non-obvious design difference, there may be a change in standards/regulations, or there may even have been a change in specs based on new info from a negative experience or two.

Sorry, I am not aware of any current manufacturer valves that say EAN suitable for a 7/8"-14.

Back
Top Bottom