New and wanting to dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nothing I've ever read about diving the Daytona Beach area made me want to go there for diving. Years ago when in the area for a reptile convention, a friend & I inquired at a dive shop, rented 2 tanks & headed off to dive Alexander Spring (a substantial drive; it's shaped like a sombrero turned upside down, with a 'bowl' maybe 26 feet deep, but a much more interesting snorkel-like region around it where we saw various turtles and fish, a small alligator... But I don't recommend heading down there to dive that. My wife still teased me about calling that a dive.

If I were looking at that, I'd consider heading on down to West Palm Beach, which is reputable for diving, but I'd ask what sea conditions are apt to be that time of year. I'm not recommending FL over the Caribbean for winter, just saying if that area is 'it,' that's what I'd check into next.

Is your live aboard in Guadalupe to see Great Whites?

It may make your decision easier to think not so much in terms of 'this destination or that one,' and more in terms of 'I'll try this one first, and maybe that one later' (Lord willing and allowing). Different destinations will excel at different things, and a variety over time offers you more.

But picking trips is still a bit tough for me, too.

Richard.

Yes, NC has some great diving. On the downside, the best dives are pretty deep (110-140') and require a pretty long boat ride to get out. There are some nice "inshore" dives in the 70' range, but the best wrecks require some experience to enjoy those deeper sites.

For Florida, Pompano Dive Center (Pompano Beach) is my go to place. They have a great staff, a great boat, great wrecks at any depth you want, and short boat rides to the sites. If I'm flying, I just fly into Fort Lauderdale and from there it's an easy Uber up to Pompano.

You've definitely got the right idea about diving in the winter to maintain your skills. Skills fade quickly. In the dead of Winter, NC is quite cold (water temps often dip into the upper 40s inshore). I don't dive dry, so that's not really doable for me. Pompano is quite comfortable for winter diving in a 3 or probably (better for most) 5mm wetsuit. There are also some great inshore sites in Florida to dive like Blue Grotto. Feel free to PM if you want some additional suggestions.

My 4 dives so far have been in a quarry (and my AOW dives will be in a quarry in October). They are good but I would like to "move on" to ocean diving as well.

I didn't realize there is good diving in NC (I'll have to look into that). I was just in FL a couple weeks ago, but sadly could not make time to go diving (there for a work conference). I was thinking potentially it might be easier this time around to stay "local" (i.e., not go international) and possibly go to FL (or maybe NC). Any thoughts on New Smyrna Beach, FL/Daytona, FL in January?

Part of the reason why I want to go somewhere in Dec./Jan. is to keep my skills "fresh". With winter, there won't be much (if any diving) where I am at during the winter. I already have a trip for next summer (liveaboard in Guadalupe with others I know), but I want to get in some diving between now (recently being certified) and summer to stay "current".

I have traveled outside the U.S. before (just went to Dublin solo in August), and was (before getting certified) planning to go to France in Jan. solo (but now I want to dive instead). But I have never traveled for diving before (either solo or as part of a group), minus the trip to the quarry to be certified.

I think part of the problem is this is a tough decision. True nothing will tick all the "wish list boxes" but trying to find the best compromise. Once I make a decision I can come back to ScubaBoard and write a trip report for what was eventually decided.

So far all the suggestions have been helpful (but also now I have more decisions to make as well).

@V. James I've just posted information about an economical all-inclusive dive vacation offer at Anthony's Key Resort on Roatan, see the link below. There is no single supplement and no increase in prices during the high season. I don't know if they have availability during the dates that you need but it may be worth investigating.

A one week package in a "Hill Superior" room (the cheapest room that has AC) including the 19% tax = $2320 and that includes accommodations, all meals, and boat, shore, and night dives. It also includes a free Buoyancy Control workshop, and since you are interested in improving your skills that may be of interest. Your airfare, rental equipment, and tips would be extra.

I have stayed at other resorts on Roatan but I have never stayed at AKR so I cannot give an opinion, but others here on SB have vacationed there and SB has hosted 2 group trips to AKR in the past, so you may wish to consider it, good luck!

Anthony Key's Buy One Get One Free 2019 Details - No Single Supplement

What is on your wish list for both diving and a vacation in general?

Somewhere not too cold (I haven't taken a dry suit course yet, and am not sure I would really want to dive in one either). Not too expensive (a lofty goal I know). Somewhere I can go solo but there is still someone that can dive with me since I need a buddy to dive (e.g., dive leader). Someplace that has some sites to see outside of diving (I like just wandering around and seeing different things when I travel). I'd like to see sharks (my favorite animals), but other sea life I would welcome also (not too keen on wrecks, I'd rather see animals). Potentially, on non-dive days, someplace I can go running at least one day (not a necessity but something I like to do besides dive). Someplace that is good for beginners. Not sure what else is or should be on my "wish list".

I am going to see the Great Whites when I go to Guadalupe Island July 2019!! (*the* bucket list item for sure, and being invited on the trip is the reason I finally got certified despite thinking about doing it for years).

I think part of the problem is there are too many choices in a way. True, I can try one this time, and do another the next time, but it's hard to decide which to do this time and which to do next time.

I'll look into Roatan too along with NC and the other places in FL suggested. Thanks!

Somewhere not too cold (I haven't taken a dry suit course yet, and am not sure I would really want to dive in one either). Not too expensive (a lofty goal I know). Somewhere I can go solo but there is still someone that can dive with me since I need a buddy to dive (e.g., dive leader). Someplace that has some sites to see outside of diving (I like just wandering around and seeing different things when I travel). I'd like to see sharks (my favorite animals), but other sea life I would welcome also (not too keen on wrecks, I'd rather see animals). Potentially, on non-dive days, someplace I can go running at least one day (not a necessity but something I like to do besides dive). Someplace that is good for beginners. Not sure what else is or should be on my "wish list".

I am going to see the Great Whites when I go to Guadalupe Island July 2019!! (*the* bucket list item for sure, and being invited on the trip is the reason I finally got certified despite thinking about doing it for years).

I think part of the problem is there are too many choices in a way. True, I can try one this time, and do another the next time, but it's hard to decide which to do this time and which to do next time.

I'll look into Roatan too along with NC and the other places in FL suggested. Thanks!

"Warm" is a relative term. In January the Florida and Bahamian waters may be the upper 60s F to the low/mid 70s F, that's colder than I prefer, but it isn't dry suit cold. NC would be very, very cold!

What were the water temps like during your check out dives and how cold did you feel? As you travel further south in the Caribbean the water usually gets warmer - in the low 80s - that's my preference.

But perhaps you should get used to diving cold water before going to Guadalupe Island in July (low 70s F)!

But if you could manage the dates and cost, I think that @drrich2's suggestion of the Curacao Surge would be a great option for any new diver as a first time dive travel trip. You would have a chance to meet and dive with other SB members, and Curacao would meet your other wishes, except for sharks.

Roatan isn't really the kind of place for wandering around seeing the sites IMO. We have usually stayed on campus or taken excursions when we've visited, and it is a hot, humid, and buggy jungle so running doesn't sound like much fun, either.

You could certainly wander, look at sites, and run in many areas of Curacao, but I don't know much about the location of the resort that will host the SB Surge - but others could advise you.

January the Florida and Bahamian waters may be the upper 60s F to the low/mid 70s F, that's colder than I prefer, but it isn't dry suit cold.
Depends on where in the Bahamas. We will be on San Salvador island in mid January, which is on the far south east tip of the islands. Average water temp there in January is 77.

I am located in the DC Metro area and sometimes fly out of Dulles too if the flights are right. I fly Southwest a lot and I know they fly from IAD to Fort Lauderdale. We go to the Keys at least once a year and always fly into FLL then drive down there ourselves. While I have only dove once in the Keys (discover SCUBA 2 1-tank dives) I've snorkeled there A TON and it is fantastic for diving/snorkeling. It's some of the best I've ever done even comparing to my Caribbean destinations. I've seen decent sized sharks, goliath groupers, big baracudas, big stingrays, and reefs that are really alive.

I have been there in the winter and while the water is cold, it's definitely swimmable. When I was there in February snorkeling I started with a wetsuit, but the buoyancy of it kept me from being able to swim down how I wanted to so I took it off. It was chilly but I snorkeled for like 45 minutes without it and was fine.

I’m a new diver (4 dives so far) and will be taking my AOW class in October. I was hoping to go diving sometime over break (I teach so will be off late Dec./early Jan.), but so far I’ve been finding it difficult to find a good place to dive as a single diver during this time that’s not crazy expensive. I’m in the eastern U.S. (closest airport is Dulles). My dive shop has trips but they conflict with work. I would be traveling solo and don’t have much of my own gear yet (just have booties, fins, snorkel and mask). I know there is the Surge trip later in Jan. and am considering though it ends very close to when school starts again. I’m also not so sure about the double occupancy for it. Any suggestions of where to go for a few days to scuba while vacationing. Thanks!

While in Grad school after the Navy, wife and I would hop in the van and drive to Hommasassa Springs or farther to the Keys. You can dive the river/spring outside the Park and groove with the Manatees. Boat rental is available if desired. Many do the Crystal River. We found it too crowded, too murky...
There are existing posts on scubaboard about shore dives in the Keys. But, shallow, long beaches make it about impossible most places. Call ahead and shop for some bargainish boat trips.
There are places to camp and save some $$
Too, thé Florida Panhandle Springs are decent, heck- any spring is fun.
Enjoy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom