New Apek's drysuit valve issues?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

acreichman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello everybody,

I'm about to order my first drysuit and I have 3 exhaust valve options: Apek's high-profile, Apek's low-profile or SiTech valves. I've seen lots of threads where people complain about issues with the Apek's low-profile valves but they all seem to be 8-10 years old. I'm not sure if the lack of threads from the last few years means that the issues have largely been fixed.

If anybody has any info on second generation low-profile Apek's valves and whether they still have the same leak issues I've seen people reporting, I'd appreciate it.

i've used both the low profile apeks and the low and high profile sitech, the apeks low profile works ok if you aren't leaving it wide open. i get a little dampness if i leave it fully open

One of my friends got a new drysuit last year with the Apeks valves (including Low Profile dump). She had nothing but leaking with the Low Profile dump.

I’ve got a 2 year old Fusion with the low profile Apeks dump valve. Dive with it all the way open and you’re going to get wet. Close it just a few clicks and you’re dry. That was my very recent experience.

I have a 2 year old fusion as well it has aqualung/apeks valves and I have dived with it all the way open and have never been wet. Maybe I just got lucky...not sure.

-Z

seems to be about a 50/50 shot as to whether you get a good one or not, but the good ones are definitely worth it. They seem to dump much easier than the sitech and Apeks high profile. As mentioned, a couple of clicks closed usually fixes it. Anytime I've had an issue, the manufacturer has replaced it under warranty. Easy to do yourself as long as the manufacturer does not glue the valve in (like DUI does).

It's important to note, all valves are subject to failure, had a sitech fail wide open at 100m several thousand feet back in a cave with close to 6 hours of deco to go...

BTW, I use the following tool to loosen the back of my valves:

upload_2020-6-26_16-25-1.jpeg

It is a Park Tool pin spanner (model SPA-2)...check you local bike shop for one or purchase on amazon or e-bay.

-Z

I have 5 drysuits, 4 came with Apeks fitted and one with SI-Tech fitted. The SI-tech didn't last long before it stopped working and was swapped with a Low-profile Apeks. Apeks just works, in the fully open position..

If you're paying extra to have the apeks installed, there is no reason to. The Si-tech valves are fine, and if you have any issues they likely just need to be cleaned (like pretty much anything).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom