New Apeks Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GP

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone have an inside scoop on new Apeks regs? I noticed Leisure Pro has an Apeks CTX series listed on their website but they have no pics of them. They are a little higher in price than the TX series. I went to the Apeks website and they only have TX and ATX series regs stating more info coming soon on the ATX line.

ATX200 is the way to go. I don't think that there is such a thing as the CTX line... possibly a typo.. not sure though.

I do know that the ATX200 is a very sweet unit. I was going to buy a TX100, and decided to wait and try a 200. WELL worth the extra cash... much more streamlined and it feels to be about half the weight.

All the actual mechanical stats are on the site... overbalance first stage and completly dry assembly which I like a lot... no oil or grease. The unit also works up to something crazy like 230 feet flawlessly.

It's a great Setup and well worth the money.... Now, if you can just find a shop that has them... None of my local shops have them... backordered.. I believe this is due to military obligations.

APEKS is my personal favorite and you really can't go wrong with the TX line or the new ATX line...

My best piece of advice though: TRY BEFORE YOU BUY.. although it will be tough to get your hands on the 200 :D

Didn't know that the CTX line had ben released yet. Anyway, it is suppose to be a smaller version of the current TX line of second stages, much like the ATX200's second stage. Rumor has it that it will also replace the TX line in the near future, but that's only an unconfirmed rumor so take it for it's worth.

Thanks guys. Sounds like Warhammer is correct on the CTX-series regs. I just talked to someone at Leisure Pro that said the same thing. They're supposed to be pretty much the same as the TX-series except for a smaller lighter 2nd stage. They run about $20 to $30 more than the TX-series. I was told they are in stock at LP already too. I would assume that maybe prices on remaining TX-series stock may drop a little because of this. I guess we'll have to see.

Huh.... ??? Sounds good to me. The APEKS are known for being a bit on the "large" size. I thought it was ATX as the ATX is brand new... now we have ATX TX and now CTX

GEESH... I'll just stick with the ATX200 thank you :D

This is the response from the Technical Projects Manager at Aqua Lung to my inquiry of the new ATX-50.

Thank you for your email. The release date for the ATX50 is Sept. 01, 2001. It will take a couple of weeks for all the dealers to get notified.

Information will be appearing in our new catalog and on the website.

For right now, I can offer you the following: ATX50
· High performance regulator that boasts an over-balanced first stage with a pneumatically balanced second stage.
· Four medium pressure ports are located on a swivel turret to reduce tension on the hoses. The primary port is an enlarged ½" for maximum flow.
· Two high-pressure ports are available for redundancy.
· The first stage is dry sealed keeping all internal components protected from the environment.
· Can be easily changed to a DIN connection system.
· The new ATX 50 second stage is smaller and 25% lighter than its TX50 predecessor. This results in less jaw fatigue and less drag.
· Improved exhaust gas flow reduces exhalation resistance and therefore, the overall work of breathing of the regulator.
· The ATX 50 second stage uses a pneumatically balanced valve system and is the most advanced diver adjustable breathing system available.
· The ATX 50 has ergonomically designed diver adjustable controls for opening effort and venturi assistance allowing the diver to tune the breathing characteristics of the regulator to give virtually ideal breathing. No fixed or preset system can achieve an ideal level of breathing performance under all conditions.
· The ATX 50 second stage is suitable for use in all diving
conditions. Because of its high efficiency heat exchanger system, it can cope with even the coldest conditions without freezing, making it the perfect all round regulator.
· Comes standard with the Comfo-bite mouthpiece for increased comfort.

Regarding the 1/2" primary port.....I admit I didn't thing it was a big deal when I bought my TX-100, but I've been cursing it ever since. Not a huge deal, but it's just one more item of complexity that doesn't seem to make any sense. I know Apeks touts "increased air flow"......but since other mfrs. don't seem to use large ports, I doubt it's such a big advantage.

I've been experimenting with hose length for my long hose/bungeed back-up set-up (mainly the length of the back-up hose -- back-up is being routed from the 1/2" port). First I tried a 22" hose (too short). Then I used the primary hose that came with the reg (30" -- too long). I just picked up a 26" from the LDS yesterday and set it up last night ("honey, why are you always walking around the basement with your tank & regulator on?"). I'm using an adaptor plug for the back-up (to fit the standard 3/8" hose I installed).

Bottom line......now I know why DIR folks like regs with "standard" size LP ports.

Back
Top Bottom