New Aqua Lung computer - Now with moar Buhlmann ZHL-16

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Funny, it seems SP is also sporting a new very similarly featured computer. Price isn’t bad.
What computer are you talking about, the A2? Another proprietary algorithm, ZH-L16 ADT MB. Base algorithm middle of the road to conservative, Made more conservative by microbubble level, breathing rate, heart rate, skin temperature, none of them described in any detail or validated. I have trouble with SP computers.

Made more conservative by microbubble level, breathing rate, heart rate, skin temperature

You can turn them off and not use these factors in the algorithm. I don't know what the issue is here.

You can turn them off and not use these factors in the algorithm. I don't what the issue is here.
Correct, that's what I would do. Then you still have a proprietary baseline algorithm that you don't know how it works. Why spend the money for all these variables that you are not going to use?

What computer are you talking about, the A2? Another proprietary algorithm, ZH-L16 ADT MB. Base algorithm middle of the road to conservative, Made more conservative by microbubble level, breathing rate, heart rate, skin temperature, none of them described in any detail or validated. I have trouble with SP computers.
I believe it’s the A2, similar or not?

Correct, that's what I would do. Then you still have a proprietary baseline algorithm that you don't know how it works. Why spend the money for all these variables that you are not going to use?
The only reason for someone to buy on is that they trust SP, AL etc. I’m not in the market but I don’t see any big issue for these, I do wonder who’s making them for the big guys.

Correct, that's what I would do
Why spend the money for all these variables that you are not going to use?

You wouldn't but others would including myself. I use these adjustments based on my profile and dive conditions and there are no issues with them at all. I rather have options and adjustments than not having them. You are paying for a lot more than these variables and the having the "option" to change them as you like or not use them. What doesn't work for you just because you're closed minded, does work for thousands others.

Then you still have a proprietary baseline algorithm that you don't know how it works

The way they use the Buhlmann algorithm as the basis for their dive computer algorithm is exactly like any other dive computer manufacturer on this planet does with adding their own magical touch to the base algorithm that they don't tell you about exactly. ALL of dive computer manufacturers add their own fudge factor to the base Buhlmann algorithm and SP is no different. There is no mystery or issues with it at all just like Oceanic, AL, Ratio, etc. do to their algorithms. You don't know more about other manufacturers dive computers' algorithms than what you know about SP's algorithm.

I have used SP computers a fair amount over the last two years and compared them to other manufacturers' computers including Suunto's and they are middle of the road in terms of their "conservatism" yet more liberal than Suunto/Cressi/Mares computers especially in multi-day/multi-dive profiles.

I do wonder who’s making them for the big guys
SP makes their own in Switzerland AFAIK, at least the design and prototyping (I know that in the past, the manufacturing was in Switzerland also but I am not sure if this is true today but most likely it is still).

@scubadada

I stand corrected on the algorithm being Z+.
I scanned the manual and went right to the specs where it said Buhlman ZHL-16C.
None the less, if I was in the market for an AI d.c., this would definitely be on my short list.

@scubadada

I stand corrected on the algorithm being Z+.
I scanned the manual and went right to the specs where it said Buhlman ZHL-16C.
None the less, if I was in the market for an AI d.c., this would definitely be on my short list.
After 18 years with DSAT, and now Buhlmann ZH-L16C with custom GF, I could never dive with PZ+, much too limiting. I'm sure it would be fine, and is, for many divers. I would choose it over Suunto, Mares, or Cressi RGBM.

I look forward to diving with you again in Boynton Beach :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom