new aqua-lung mistral

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like the yellow/black combo myself but for diving I like the reproduction silicone Voit hourglass mouth piece better than the USD curved, it's not reg correct but I find it much more comfortable...however I have yet to try the new silicone ones.....one is on the bench now so I may go back to the curved USD style if the silicone one works out. I never cared for the tire knobs, the T is just more stylish IMO. In any case, the reg looks very good and from here looks like it has not been dissambled- C clips are in the correct place and there does not seem to be any scratches on the cans. Looks like a perfect reg to restore.

When SD first began it was held in north central Florida in the always calm, clear, shallow spings like Alexander and Ginnie. As SD has evolved into the Bahamas last year and this year the Gold Coast and next year it sounds like Bonaire the diving has become more demanding and exposed to the elements, rough seas, currents etc. Thus the reason the Sand Doggers have been ditching vintage equipment in favor of more utilitarian equipment with the only remaining vestige of "vintage" being the double hose regs. I expect that trend to continue as long as we take on the ocean blue, Bonaire deep wall dives, boat trips to the "wild" side of Bonaire etc.

On the Spiegal my harness was tied too tight behind the horsecollar, then it slipped off my shoulders and since I have A) arthritis in my hands and B) was carrying a near 4,000 dollars camera rig I hated to drop, I nearly passed out because I could not breath and I could not loosen the strap trapped behind the horsecollar, it was about to get serious for a minute--really--I am not kidding. I somehow made it back to the boat, got out and the DM had to loosen the sternum strap. That let me breath and I was able to dive after a moment of regaining my composure, all the while the remainder of the day, both shoulder straps were off my shoulders and my tank was loose.

I enjoyed the old SD format where we could mostly drive our vehicles and haul tons of cool old gear to play with and share in a benign environment but in the ocean, paying lot's of money to get someplace to dive, I am afraid the only vintage gear I will get to Bonaire will be a DH t-shirt with a picture of a DH regulator and my DOXA watch. I am just saying, serious diving begets serious equipment and the limited baggage allowance post 911 and shoe bomber and undie bomber makes heavy vintage gear or multiple sets of gear difficult to transport.

Just thinking out loud, not meaning to upset anyone.

N

Those inch cotton nylon double square D wet spongy loop tail can't find it which bit do I pull adjusted with your shoulders touching under tension chest straps are impossible. Underneath a nylon or rubberised sack with impediments such as gloves etc? Aluminum plates and plac pacs from 60 onwards tended to have shoulder staps poking out the top on top of each other. Thats very close together as was suggested as a solve in another post. Set and forget. Physics works. Someone on VSS or VDH placed a show interest post a few months ago, in making some inch wire cam stuff, I like it got one on my Healthways shoulder, but imagine if it rubbed a hole in the back of the Fenzy. Go and do what you want with whatever you want to do it with. NO sternum strap for me. Unless it's later model stuff, loose, to clip my fins off to. Double hose with modern stuff is ridiculous. Buy a rebreather. Just thinking out loud, not meaning to upset anyone.

She just arrived. Here are some pics. These are the same pictures I have posted at vintagedoublehose.com . Now it's time to get her all dolled up and looking sharp!

da2.jpg

da3.jpg

da4.jpg

da5.jpg

da6.jpg

Beauuutiful. Splash some vinegar around and take it to bed with you. Buy a ring clamp.

Aloha , This is my horse collar remedy, I dive without a BC cuz I am in tropical water and I dont need one, but when the need arises, I dont wear my horse collar around my neck. I sandwich the horse collar between my tank and my backpack and it works great. basically it turns your collar into a back inflation device and none of the release straps are blocked, looks a little funky but it works for me. Cheers
John

@ Duckbill - I plan to farm it out to Bryan at Vintagedoublehose.com . Black Hose - Black Mouth piece with a Phoenix and High shine chrome

@ Gilldiver - I have bought two additions to my collection already. I bought another DA and a Royal off e-bay. I also bought a set of twin 72s.

This all started out with me buying a new style Mistral DH, which lead to me buying a LE of the new Mistral which lead to me buying my first DA, which made me buy the second DA (She is a Beautiful PRAM) so I just had to have a Royal Aqua Master (She is gorgeous as well).

Wonder if there's a submarine for sale somewhere??? :D I'm sick I tell you I'm sick.

DH Virus....

Yep, there's no hope now.

Perhaps you can keep to USD regs, but you may get Voit Fever.

Back
Top Bottom