New Atomic Cobalt Dive Computer dead after only 10 dives!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ben Prusinski

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My new Atomic Cobalt Dive computer died while I was on my trip to Bonaire this week after only 10 dives! I had to use my Suunto D4 backup dive computer and backup SPG gauge to complete diving on my trip. I am concerned about Atomic Cobalt reliability as why would it die so soon after only a few months of usage on 10 dives?

Is it dead, or does it just have a dead battery? I know when our dive shop got those computers, they had problems with them not turning off after use and running the batteries down. They sent them back to the manufacturer and they did something that fixed the issue.

My new Atomic Cobalt Dive computer died while I was on my trip to Bonaire this week after only 10 dives! I had to use my Suunto D4 backup dive computer and backup SPG gauge to complete diving on my trip. I am concerned about Atomic Cobalt reliability as why would it die so soon after only a few months of usage on 10 dives?
Can you give more specifics as to what happened? Did it work at all on the trip, or was it dead when you got there? Were you able to try connecting it to the A/C adapter? This would restart a computer with a completely discharged battery (charging from USB won't restart the program). Do you still have the Cobalt, or has it been returned for warranty? I'm one of the original designers of this product, and may be able to help determine what happened.

There is a massive thread devoted the the Cobalt in the Computers forum- here is a link to the latest posts: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...tics-cobalt-dive-computer-37.html#post6383733

There were some problems with battery door seals leaking in early units, and the desktop software for Windows has been slow to get sorted out, but otherwise the Cobalt has shown good reliability.

Ron

Ron, the Cobalt died all of a sudden after my third dive in Bonaire. No display blank screen dead as a doornail. I sent it back for repair since its only few months old and under warranty. Kinda disappointed that it would fail for an expensive product. My other Atomic gear has been great- I have an Atomic B2 regulator which is fantastic and Atomic split fins. Hopefully Atomic will work on reliability for the Cobalt. I really don't want it to keep failing after so few dives. My cheaper Suunto D4 has been reliable in contrast.

It's a bummer for sure but any mass produced product even high quality ones will still unfortunately experience the occasional failure. I'm sure once it's sorted it will be provide many years of reliable service. Lucky you had a back eh or it would have been a super bummer. Good luck.

Reliability on the Cobalt hasn't been a problem, but like anything else made by humans there are sometimes failures. About the only thing that could cause the symptoms you describe is water getting into the electronics or battery compartment. If you PM me with the serial # I will follow up and see what is discovered. I think you will find Atomic is very good about taking care of their customers.

Ron

Ron,
Thanks, appreciate the support. I will PM you with the details. As an engineer, I would be interested in what caused the Cobalt to fail.

Just to update, Ben's Cobalt had a leaking seal around the battery, moisture had gotten into the battery area and corroded the contacts. Atomic replaced the battery (this part of the computer is sealed from the rest of the electronics) and is getting it back to him. One of the screws holding the battery door on was broken, so we think that may have been the cause of the leaking seal.

Ron

Exact same thing happned with mine, though rather than a broken screw it looked to have been some stray glue on the o-ring seat...lasted maybe 40 dives before the seawater corroded the positive lead off its contact and the battery pack puffed up like a balloon. RonR helped me troubleshoot and Atomic fixed it up/shipped it back fast.

Just got my Atomic Cobalt back this week. Hopefully it will last for years and be reliable. I love the computer just want it to be reliable :)
Thank you RonR for your help on this. I am headed to Catalina and Cayman for some fun diving and look forward to using it again. Hopefully Atomic will come out with a wrist mounted air integrated version of the Cobalt. That would be fantastic to have a wrist integrated version.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom