New Battery Cap Style

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geoff w

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I received a somewhat unclear email from Shearwater last week:

Hello Shearwater Divers,

We have made improvements to the battery cap which fits the NERD and all versions of Petrels including DiveCAN controllers. The new caps cannot be installed on old units. If you would like to order replacement or spare battery caps please contact your local Shearwater Dealer. A map of all Shearwater Dealers can be found by clicking here.

Petrel/NERD Battery Cap Improvements
Purpose: To improve the sealing performance and O-ring life span, the battery compartment O-ring gland design has been changed from a crushed gland to a radial gland. Identification of the new radial cap can be made by observing the differences in the following table:

The original battery cap is 21021.

The new cap with blue o-ring is 21021-01.

The cases which take the new cap will be engraved RC under the strap.

Regards,

Lynn Partridge

By old units, does this mean before Petrel 2s (like the original Petrel and the Predator), or earlier production run on Petrel 2s? My Petrel 2 is a little over a year old. The email has some images and some screw heads that make no sense in the context of the battery compartment, but no example of where to look for the RC engraving or what it looks like. Does anyone have a picture of the RC indication?

I've been trying to figure this out too. The email wasn't too clear...

Look for "RC" under the strap. I'll be doing that later on. However, if it has the older cap, odds are you can't use the new cap.

As an aside, does anyone know what size o-ring it takes?

Interesting wording on the announcement. Reading the linked article and the responses by Shearwater to the questions I can see where the confusion comes from. This is not a "new" "replacement" cap, it is a new cap design and how to tell if you unit has the old design or the new design so "if" you need to replace your existing cap for some reason you can tell which cap design to order. In other words, if you have damaged your cap and need to replace it, look at the pictures to identify if you need to order the old design or the new design. I have no idea what the pictures of the screws are for.

The screws are different on the two caps; look inside the cap. It is an additional identifying aspect so you don't order the wrong cap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom