New BC ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing I can suggest if you're having issues with fit: If you don't already have it, pick up a Zeagle Split Saddle Strap Assembly - BCD Accessories - Scuba Equipment Dive Gear Best Prices to keep the BC from riding up on your shoulders. It does an excellent job of holding it down without being uncomfortable.

After rereading your post a couple of times....do you only have one trim pocket on the upper cam band? If so, you should really have two; one on each side of the tank. That would allow you 10 lbs on your back with just those two, not to mention it will help keep you from rolling side to side during the dive. Add a second pair and you can theoretically have 20 lbs on your back if necessary.

And aside from the difference in lift capacity (45 lbs vs 35 lbs), that's the main difference between the Ranger and the Brigade. The Brigade uses an Escape bladder with bungee wrapped around it to create those pockets. Like you, when working with students, I too tend to dive with a little extra weight, just in case one of them decides to bolt for the surface or get into an uncontrolled ascent situation. Try moving your trim pockets to the top cam band and put the bulk of your weight in them and see if that doesn't help keep you in more of a horizontal position. It definitely made a difference for me.

Picked up the Saddle Strap and it did make a difference. I do have 2 trim pockets on the top band.

This last weekend I stole my Son's Rangers and what a difference. My son has a Medium, where I have a large. I bought the Ranger from my first LDS a couple months after getting certified and never really looked up the sizing chart as Owner said the large would be perfect. I am 5'7" 160-165 lbs., 30/31" waist and 17" shoulders. So looking at he Zeagle Charts, I should have been in a Small.

How much of a difference should could make, or do I just have some mental block, or suck. lol

Vest Measure Waist Size Shoulder Measure Shoulder to Waist
SM 28"-35" SM 14"-18"
MD 33"-41" MD 18"-22"
LG 37"-45" LG 22"-26"
XL 42"-50" XL 26"-29"
XXL Custom XXL Custom

If you haven't done so already, you might be able to cinch up the cumberbund by removing the plastic screws and inserts and making an adjustment there. I'm sure there are videos on youtube on how to do it. The good thing though is that it's completely modular so if part of it is too big/small, you can simply replace that particular piece. For instance if the shoulders are too big, even with the straps pulled all the way tight, you can replace the shoulder section with a smaller one. Obviously it's not without cost, but depending on your LDS, maybe they can help you out since maybe they didn't size you properly. My LDS carries every piece in every size ( at least one of each) so you can build one there and then order the sizes you need. It truly is a custom built system.

If you haven't done so already, you might be able to cinch up the cumberbund by removing the plastic screws and inserts and making an adjustment there. I'm sure there are videos on youtube on how to do it. The good thing though is that it's completely modular so if part of it is too big/small, you can simply replace that particular piece. For instance if the shoulders are too big, even with the straps pulled all the way tight, you can replace the shoulder section with a smaller one. Obviously it's not without cost, but depending on your LDS, maybe they can help you out since maybe they didn't size you properly. My LDS carries every piece in every size ( at least one of each) so you can build one there and then order the sizes you need. It truly is a custom built system.

Sadly, The owner of the LDS does not welcome me anymore. He dragged my Son's Advance class over 6 months and 3 instructors. I sent multiple emails for 2 months asking what needed to be done, I got 1 email stating a pool session. I asked why, as my son had several pool sessions already. shortly later I found my son's card had already been submitted and I just purchased it online. When the own found out, he called and cursed me out pretty bad.

For the Waist, I have it as small as it can go. Will look into swapping shoulder straps with the kids and tryin it. He is about 5 inches taller then me, but He is possessive about his gear.

just for fun... the LDS has probably lost over 100k for messing with me. I have gotten over 20 people involved with diving since, all buying full sets of gear or 2, and all are advance or higher now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom