New BCD: Atomic Aquatics BC1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iim7v7im7

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
IMG_9759.JPG

After 17-years, my Scubapro Classic BCD's rubber bladder finally failed. That's a pretty good run for a piece equipment. I have kept it serviced and it has performed flawlessly. It is the BCD that I learned on. This expiration caused me to look at options available today. Since we only dive on 1 or 2 trips to the tropics a year (15-30 dives), I wanted to chose something somewhat familiar in some regards to minimize relearning since we dive somewhat infrequently. With back plate systems, travel BCs it's really a whole new world.

What I found in the internet age, was that regional bricks and mortar dive shops inventory minimal amounts of BCDs, so getting your hands on and trying on a BCD is quite limited. They can order you one, but finding the brand, model and size seems near impossible. Since we had been diving with an Air2 as a back-up regulator from the beginning, we wanted to stay with BCs that offered integrated power inflator/back-up regulators instead of a separate octopus. Lastly, we wanted to buy from the local shop that has serviced our gear for many years.

I looked online at BC options by Atomic, Mares, Oceanic, Scubapro, Sherwood, Tusa and Zeagle. Since all of our diving requires air travel, something smaller than our Classics was desirable (almost ANY BC is smaller!). We looked at "travel" BCs but in many cases overall weight savings or compactness comes at the expense of either performance or durability. Integrated weights (yes, we have used boa belts since day one) was also a feature of interest and seeing the ergonomics of how the different systems loaded, ditched and if ditched what is required to re-set them. We wanted to understand how well the different back-up regulators breathed relative to each other.

The models that interested us the most were the Atomic BC1 ($1,700 MAP), Scubapro Glide X ($763 MAP) and Zeagle Halo ($956 MAP). Atomic attacted us because of their overall quality of their products and how well their regulators breath; Scubapro as a known entity, tank strap and the surface buoyancy properties (did not like weight ditch system) and Zeagle for the ditch ergonomics of their weight system and the recent Scubalab endorsement. Obviously some large range of MAP pricing between these three BCs.

We were fortunate to be able to see both the Atomic and Zeagle BCs at Beneath the Sea show a few weeks ago (could not find Scubapro there). This where the Atomic gear sold us. The design of this BC was simply fantastic. The double laminated polyurethane outer is both tough from an abrasion and being hydrophobic will shed water. The tank strap has adopted a clever ratchet mechanism from ski boots and will quickly adjust from steel 72s to Aluminum 80s and second dive tank changes. They took the EZ-Lok clip system from their fins and employed it in a simple and ergonomic way. The pockets snap in and ditch with a simple motion like the Zeagle rip-cord but is much easier to re-set. Atomic's SS1 power inflator/back-up regulator is also about the easiest breathing out there. Worn, the padding and strap adjustments were quite comfortable (out of water). The BC is made in Atomic's CA factory.

The only negative about it is the high price, which will put off most potential customers. At nearly 2x (with the SS1 added) price premium over competitors, I suspect that Atomic will have a very tough time selling this item. I would however recommend that you check it out in person and see how well it is designed and manufactured. Honestly, over 15-years of use like my last BC, the differences in price of this magnitude between products to me fall into the noise. Being long-term customers of our shop, we were afforded some welcomed price consideration on the BCs to boot well below MAP.

We just ordered them and they should arrive in a month. I will post a review after I dive with it later in the year.

Enjoy your new purchase. I just don't know how they can justify the price of this BC.

I think you're right about the price. The typical mainstream recreational diver probably won't spend that much; I suspect some divers who do spend large amounts on scuba gear (e.g.: rebreathers) may be more inclined toward BP/W use. So I'm left wondering who the target demographic is that's likely to buy this.

Then again, how many posts have we seen claiming the Atomic regulator line breathes about the same, with the exorbitantly priced models basically mildly lighter weight. Yet there are people who buy them.

Maybe we need to devise a mockup of a diver in 'full Atomic' gear (the top end stuff) and see what his setup would run.

Richard.

Enjoy your new purchase. I just don't know how they can justify the price of this BC.

Atomic has a brilliant marketing strategy, starting with the introduction of their Titanium regulator.

Scuba retailers were standing in line to purchase one for themselves and become Atomic Dealers.

Now; Atomic has several variations of the original reg design at much lower prices.
Same good performance, different materials,

Expect the same with the S1 BC, early buyers are all in on "The best" concept and have the money to buy a BC 3X + more expensive than many high quality BC's.

Then there will be a S2 BC, and a S3.

It works for BMV, Mercedes, and many others, buy the nameplate.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, marketing strategies never work over the long haul unless the product delivers on the value proposition. If the BC1 does not, it will go the way of the Dodo. Atomic lasted 15-years as an independent company before getting acquired by Huish 6-years ago. They must be doing something right. I suspect that you right that they will release lower price point BC models as they did with regulators. Most of the complaints that I see/hear in regard to Atomic products relate to their high price point and not their performance. The value proposition of their performance in the context of competition is not commensurate with the cost to many (obviously not all).

At $1,790 (Ti) / $1,690 (SS) inflator/ regulator and $1,569 with an inflator it is possibly the most expensive BC with an inflator/back-up regulator (Zeagle SAR comes close in price). Atomic as a brand is commonly discounted whereas brands like Scubapro are not so that needs to be factored in as well. Aside from product positioning, some of the high price point is driven by the choice of materials,number of custom injection molded components, US assembly costs and low manufacturing volumes (higher manufacturing volumes would reduce the cost).

I would still encourage folks to see it for themselves.

The design of this BC was simply fantastic. The double laminated polyurethane outer is both tough from an abrasion and being hydrophobic will shed water. The tank strap has adopted a clever ratchet mechanism from ski boots and will quickly adjust from steel 72s to Aluminum 80s and second dive tank changes. They took the EZ-Lok clip system from their fins and employed it in a simple and ergonomic way. The pockets snap in and ditch with a simple motion like the Zeagle rip-cord but is much easier to re-set. Atomic's SS1 power inflator/back-up regulator is also about the easiest breathing out there. Worn, the padding and strap adjustments were quite comfortable (out of water). The BC is made in Atomic's CA factory.

Let's look at what you get for the price, instead of just the sticker shock.

1.) Said to be very tough. That is nice. Is there any indication standard BCD's are insufficiently tough? Are many divers apt to consider this diving in conditions where tears & punctures are worrisomely likely (e.g.: un-sanitized wreck penetration)?

2.) Hydrophobic - sheds water. Nice fluff feature; would be nice if it's much drier for packing after the last dive before you fly out the next morning.

3.) Weight-release system for integrated weights. Sounds nice; I'd have to see it to understand. By my Sherwood Avid's attachments seem fine. Is this a significant advantage, or a solution looking for a problem? Opinions?

4.) Ratcheting tank cam bands. Now that I like. Locally I dive an old XsScuba Worthington HP 130 cf tank; on vacation trips, could be 80 aluminum, 80 steel, 100 cf whichever, 120 Faber steel... Quick adjustment would be a nice convenience. I don't find tank swaps so onerous in Bonaire, or size adjustments that 1st prep. on a trip, as to justify a huge jump in price.

Air-integrated 'Air2' products are a debate in their own right. Some people are opposed, some use (I've got a Sherwood Gemini on mine).

Richard.

IMG_9761.JPG
That's a fair point about the "toughness". My Scubapro Classic lasted 17-years. After 10 years of drying in the tropical sun, the color first faded. Next, the denier nylon mesh frayed particularly in the pocket areas. Still worked fine, just a bit ragged. Certain grades of polyurethane polymers are very abrasion and UV resistant. The drying thing might be useful on the last day of the tropical trip when you are trying to dry your gear before you pack your bag. Frankly, wetsuits and booties are the critical path before the my BC.

What I liked about the weight pockets was the straight pull motion of their removal (nothing to unsnap) and the ease of their insertion and positive tactile/audible feedback when properly inserted. We are moving from 17-years of using belts. I liked the Zeagle rip-cord system as well , but putting it back together after you use it looked to be quite difficult in comparison. We are ludites and are moving from boa belts and Scubapro buckles.

The tank strap (see no. 2 above) ratchets to tighten and loosen and has an over center clamp like some other companies. I was able to play with it on some different tanks and it adjusted quite easily. I have never had significant problems within a trip when it is always a steel 72 or aluminum 80 cylinder all week. The issues is usually on the first day adjusting it or if you didn't get it quite right struggle fighting the clamp for the week.

It is always difficult to describe things with words. Go see one yourself. I will be currious to see how it performs in the water.

I will be currious to see how it performs in the water.

I am a little bit confused, have you already bought the Atomic BC1 BC? I'd love to hear your report on the BC after you have used it especially as related to how different it feels/works underwater. I understand fully the information about its durability, etc. features but I need to know more about its performance underwater compared with other brands. I also have had my SP Classic+ BC (weight integrated) for almost 17 years now and it is still going strong without ANY issues at all. I have traveled the world with it. It is, so far, the most durable BC I have ever used. My issue with it is that I am now changing my thermal protection all of the time to fit the purpose and conditions of my diving here in Libya; 1mm, 3mm, 7mm, semi-dry to a drysuit and the Classic isn't adjustable enough to accommodate the changes in size especially after I have become more "prosperous" in size myself :) For recreational diving, I am looking at the Hydros BC but still studying my options at this point (in addition to Hydros, Zeagle Ranger LTD., SP Seahawk).

(I have tried and used recreational BC's from other brands and didn't like most of them).

I look forward to reading your report on the Atomic BC after you have used it in real diving conditions (assuming that I understood you correctly that you have bought one).

Do the Atomic tank 'straps' fit other 'conventional' BCD's, I wonder if they would be compatible with a generic BCD and available for sale as separate items ?

Yes, you understand correctly. I tried it at a show a few weeks back. I just ordered it and it should arrive this month. I will follow up on this post regarding its in-water use when we dive later this year.

Regarding whether they sell the strap seperately or is the design so integrated that it is only usable with their design, I simply don't know. I suspect not, but ask Atomic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom