New BCD: Atomic Aquatics BC1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seems one can find the BCD1 for only $1400 ... as for the cam band. My WAG is that could be used by other BCD as the strap looks to be pretty flexible with the teeth laid over a nylon backing. At 39 seconds into the video shows it pretty well: http://www.atomicaquatics.com/BC1.html

The MAP price is $1,400 without a power inflator. I listed the MAP pricing for both power inflator and both versions of the SS1 in an earlier post in this thread. Keep in mind, individuals will find differing degrees of price consideration offered by dealers on this gear below MAP pricing.

Seems one can find the BCD1 for only $1400 ... as for the cam band. My WAG is that could be used by other BCD as the strap looks to be pretty flexible with the teeth laid over a nylon backing. At 39 seconds into the video shows it pretty well: http://www.atomicaquatics.com/BC1.html

OK, I saw the video, but it's not enough detail to really tell if it's cross compatible or not.

Since we had been diving with an Air2 as a back-up regulator from the beginning, we wanted to stay with BCs that offered integrated power inflator/back-up regulators instead of a separate octopus.

This statement comes across, to me, as similar to "I've only ever driven a small 2-door car with an automatic transmission and gear selector on the steering column, so that's what I want for my next car."

If a jacket-style integrated BCD with an Air2 is what you like best, then fine. But, I definitely wouldn't let the fact that that is what you have been using constrain what you buy next. BCDs are not rocket science. Your profile says you have over 200 dives. Even if it's only 1 or 2 trips a year, I would think you'd have no trouble adapting to whatever BCD you buy - whether it's a jacket-style with an Air2 or a back inflate or a BP/W and whether it's an Air2 or a traditional style octo or even a primary on a longer hose and an alternate on a bungee necklace.

You know you can add an air2 to just about anything out there.

This statement comes across, to me, as similar to "I've only ever driven a small 2-door car with an automatic transmission and gear selector on the steering column, so that's what I want for my next car."

If a jacket-style integrated BCD with an Air2 is what you like best, then fine. But, I definitely wouldn't let the fact that that is what you have been using constrain what you buy next. BCDs are not rocket science. Your profile says you have over 200 dives. Even if it's only 1 or 2 trips a year, I would think you'd have no trouble adapting to whatever BCD you buy - whether it's a jacket-style with an Air2 or a back inflate or a BP/W and whether it's an Air2 or a traditional style octo or even a primary on a longer hose and an alternate on a bungee necklace.

Try explaining that to my better half...:)

Try explaining that to my better half...:)
Sounds like mine! We got certified in Scubapro Classic jackets in '94 and dived those for years. She wouldn't dive anything else. Then she tried a friend's Zeagle and wanted one because it fit so much better. I bought her one which she used for one vacation with diving, then went back to her Scubapro jacket because that's what she was used to. Then we tried a backplate / wing setup in a pool one day for a demo. Now she won't even consider diving anything else and has sold several friends on backplates as well

Sounds like mine! We got certified in Scubapro Classic jackets in '94 and dived those for years. She wouldn't dive anything else. Then she tried a friend's Zeagle and wanted one because it fit so much better. I bought her one which she used for one vacation with diving, then went back to her Scubapro jacket because that's what she was used to. Then we tried a backplate / wing setup in a pool one day for a demo. Now she won't even consider diving anything else and has sold several friends on backplates as well

Thanks for sharing the story. I realize that many gear related subjects such as backplates vs. jackets, octopus vs. Air2, split fins vs. blades are among the third rail of discussions on gear related forum. Like you describe, we have dove full SP Classic BCDs with air 2s, boa weight belts, Twin Jet split fins, MK20/D400 regulators Datamax Pro air integrates console computers for 17-years/300+ dives now. Always warm water dives in the Carribean and Pacific. We dive infrequently every 6 to 12 months, so routine and equipment familiarity is important safety factor.

Our choice to stay with a Jacket style BCD, albeit a less bulky one was evolutionary vs. revolutionary. We intentionally stayed with a similar back up regulator to know where it is and how it works. Similarity in inflation and dumping controls are also similar. Integrated weights are a new concept for us to learn for ditch safety as well. We purchased new computers to learn as well. Our work mental work burden on our first trip will be high enough adjusting to the "new". Familiarity in equipment is in some senses more important than "best" in some respects.

I'll be interested in your thoughts on this BC after you use it, too. And I also get the whole buy quality once, perspective.

Nothing wrong with inexpensive functional equipment. Nothing wrong with well made, expensive gear either.

Hope it works well for you.

I'll be interested in your thoughts on this BC after you use it, too. And I also get the whole buy quality once, perspective.

Nothing wrong with inexpensive functional equipment. Nothing wrong with well made, expensive gear either.

Hope it works well for you.

Thank you...My next dive trip won't be until November (to St. Vincent). I will post my impressions when I do finally use it. We should get 16 boat dives so I should have a good chance to provide a review.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom